Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Is my SQL transaction log backup working?

Post by pufferdude »

Yesterday I enabled backup of SQL transaction logs in V9 and I see the new "[VM] SQL Server Transaction Log Backup" job running continuously, but I'm not sure if it's working right. I can see that a new .vlb file gets created every time an image backup occurs, and every 15min between the image backups I see the timestamp on the .vlb file change, presumably with the latest log data.

However, when I look a the statistics for the running SQL log job, I see "Success: 1" and no warning or errors. I was expecting to see the success number = to the number of times the job successfully backed up the log... am I interpreting this wrong? In summary: It looks like my logs are being backed up, but I'm confused by what I'm seeing in the job stats.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Re: Is my SQL transaction log backup working?

Post by pufferdude »

Ah, nevermind... I think I figured it out. The panel I'm looking at is for the "Last Period" and since I only have a single VM in the job, there's a single success :D If I click on the VM itself the total sessions stats are revealed. Duh.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is my SQL transaction log backup working?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

On a side note, if you're using Availability Suite, then this report might come in handy.