Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Backed-up SQL is newer than Veeam's SQL?

Post by pufferdude »

I was just playing around with Veeam B&R 9 and testing SQL restores and ran into an unexpected issue... when I stepped through the SQL Explorer wizard I got to a point where it threw this error: "The selected database version is newer than any of the supported by the specified Microsoft SQL Server 2012" (yes, that tortured grammar is verbatim)

Veeam B&R is using SQL 2012, and the backed-up DB is 2014, which is apparently a problem. Is the fix for this to simply upgrade the Veeam B&R SQL instance to 2014? Are there any consequences for doing so?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Backed-up SQL is newer than Veeam's SQL?

Post by alanbolte »

The wording of the message (aside from grammar) is in some sense a legacy of v8, where the staging server for VESQL had to be on the backup server. In v9 you can choose a remote staging server for VESQL. However, the backup server is still the default staging server, so if you want to upgrade the local instance to SQL 2014 for that reason, go right ahead - I haven't heard of any negative side effects for doing so. Actually, it may improve performance of some operations.

The usual approach is to install a separate instance of the newer version, detach the database from the old instance, attach it to the new instance, and then use the DBconfig utility to tell the backup server the name of the new instance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Backed-up SQL is newer than Veeam's SQL?

Post by Gostev »

Looks like that resource flew under proofreading radar indeed, I will take care of that.