Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JasonJ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Julian

Question regarding VM Disk Restore

Post by JasonJ »

I used a third-party tool to resize two partitions on the boot disk of a VM, our SQL Server, actually. Upon reboot, it would not boot. Apparently Server 2008 std doesnt like to have C:\ resized.

So after struggling with that, I used Veeam B&R to do a VM Disk Restore from my last restore point, some 28 hours prior to the malfunction.

After having done that, the SQL server is up and running as it was on Monday, at 6:07pm. Cool. Except that there would have been Database additions to this server from that time, until 10pm last night when it went ka-blooey.

I forgot to clone the VM before starting to mess with it, or take a vSphere snapshot, or anything of the sort... relying on my Veeam backups and the fact that I've done this type of partition resize without issue before. Am I correct in assuming that the disks have been completely overwritten with the restored data, and that I am out of luck in retrieving any of it, even as just a simple data disk?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I learned a lot of lessons from this, so going forward it wont happen again!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question regarding VM Disk Restore

Post by foggy »

Jason, provided you've performed restore to original location, then VM disks were deleted before the restore.
JasonJ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Julian

Post by JasonJ »

Thanks Foggy, that's what I thought. It was my first use of the software so I was just kinda going with it.

I should have downloaded the existing vmdk or cloned the machine first... next time I'll know. Oh well. I wasn't the only one to decide that every other day was an acceptable backup schedule. Maybe they'll change their minds about what is an acceptable risk.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also consider periodic transaction logs backup to be able to replay them after restore to get the latest database state.
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops »

Is your SQL install on the C:\ drive of your server? if so, I'd highly recommend splitting the SQL install from the base disk, that could have saved you a lot of trouble here....

If your SQL database and logs were on different drives than the C:\ drive, ( and really best practice for performance) you could have just restored the C:\ drive while not touching the SQL instance. No lost SQL data as you are only restoring the OS drive.

Just something I wanted to point out. :)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... store.html