Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
reni3008
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Renato Richina

Crypto Locker Eject does not work

Post by reni3008 »

Nice feature to eject the USB drive after a successfull backup, however for me it is simply not working.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Crypto Locker Eject does not work

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Renato,

Please open support case thru Control Panel > Support tab as we need to check your application logs first. Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

will veeam endpoint perform a scan to "wake up" usb-devices or will the users have to unplug and plug in for each day to get it visible before the backup job starts the next day?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You will note in UI that this capability is designed to work with "storage attach event" only, which is a physical action of a user. So yes, basically "unplug and plug-in" is the way to go here. Remember our tool is designed for endpoint backup (tablets and laptops) and we don't expect users walking around with USB storage sticking out all the time anyway, but rather attaching it only for backup as needed (for example, before going to bed).
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

Thanks!
GaryM
Novice
Full Name: Gary Musytschka

Post by GaryM »

Gostev wrote:Remember our tool is designed for endpoint backup (tablets and laptops) and we don't expect users walking around with USB storage sticking out all the time anyway, but rather attaching it only for backup as needed (for example, before going to bed).
Are you then saying that this feature is not a feature, but something thrown in and if it works, fine, if not, so what?
I must differ with you, this auto removal is designed for desktop users, laptop and tablet users as you have pointed out don't need it!
The problem as I see it is that USB hard drives do not like to be ejected, it's hit or miss, mostly miss. It's not an Endpoint problem but a Windows problem. Because of this, that feature should not have been included to start with. If a "feature" doesn't work 99.9% of the time, it should not be there. It only creates user problems and is a great killer of time. I know, I've killed many hours trying to get this to work reliably, still no luck!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you then saying that this feature is not a feature, but something thrown in and if it works, fine, if not, so what?
I think what Anton meant there was the fact that we don't expect laptop/tablet users to have USB stick attached to their devices all the time, but rather to connect it on a special events, such as backup, etc. Thus, the absence of regular automatic "wake-up" scan.
I know, I've killed many hours trying to get this to work reliably, still no luck!
What exactly did work as expected for you? Didn't attaching target device automatically trigger backup? Didn't the target device get automatically unmounted after the backup? Or something else?

Thanks.
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il » 1 person likes this post

reni3008 wrote:Nice feature to eject the USB drive after a successfull backup, however for me it is simply not working.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
AFAIK external USB Device will be unmounted once all I/O jobs are finished. It may take a few minutes, but works fine in our environment!
GaryM
Novice

Post by GaryM »

v.Eremin wrote:
What exactly did work as expected for you? Didn't attaching target device automatically trigger backup? Didn't the target device get automatically unmounted after the backup? Or something else?

Thanks.
The point that I was making is that Endpoint Backup works as advertised, what doesn't work is the release of any USB hard drives. My system, windows 8.1 is very possessive, once given a usb hard drive it makes it it's own and will never release it. This is why Endpoint crypto locker eject, does not work for me and it appears for others as well. I now do my backups to my network and don't have to use the Eject feature. I have done a bare metal restore and that works well. I have learned not to replace windows restore points with Endpoint, as Endpoint won't do a simple restore as windows restore will do, on a running system. That was a bit of a let down. Endpoint is good, I recommend it especially if someone isn't doing regular backups. With Endpoint being available and for the price being charged, there is no reason for not backing up a computer.
anrishagov
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrii Shagov

Post by anrishagov » 1 person likes this post

In Windows10 the SOLUTION would be to DISABLE a "Quick Removal" (no caching) feature for this device.
You may do that easily by going to:
Control Panel - Device Manager - Disk Drives - "WD My Book" (in my case) - tab "Policies" and switch here to a "Better performance" option which enables write caching on that disk in Windows, though will enable back the "Safely remove hardware" ("Eject" function) for this device, which basically is used by Veeam Endpoint Backup for this feature.
Hope this will help you guys.
GaryM
Novice

Post by GaryM »

Quick removal did not work using the recommended settings. What does work, every time in Win10, is running gpedit.msc which opens "Local Computer Policy", from there select "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Search" > and finally double click on "Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries". Click on the enable button and press Apply. Reboot and all removable drives will close when you use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon on the task bar.
GaryM
Novice

Post by GaryM »

One more point I want to make is that on my Win 10 computer, if I have a USB drive turned on at boot up, I can't remove or eject that USB drive at all. So, boot up your computer, then turn on or plug in the USB hard drive. This in combination with the Local Computer Policy change makes Crypto Locker Eject work as expected.