Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
OREOSpeedwagon
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: OREOSpeedwagon

Coupling Veeam w/ another backup program. Question/Comment

Post by OREOSpeedwagon »

I was reading another thread where one of the Veeam staff had questioned why someone was using BackupExec w/ Veeam instead of just relying on the Veeam. The Veeam standpoint seemed to be essentially "why bother?", since the VM has everything in it anyway. I guess that makes sense for flat file, but I don't see how Veeam alone would do you any good for Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, Oracle, Active Directory, or other app level restores.

For example, how would you restore a deleted user account using Veeam alone? You can't bring up the "old" domain controller w/ the active one online, and you can't export that account as a flat file. How would you do this w/ Veeam? With NetBackup I just drill down to that user, select "restore" and I'm done within a minute or so.

How would I restore a mailbox or individual email, or even an entire IS within Exchange? I'd have to bring up that Exchange server "offline", since it can't be on the network with the other one running. I would have to have AD up and running in this offline environment for the services to start properly and for me to be able to log in. I'd then have to install Outlook on that server and then login as that user or someone who has access to that mailbox in order to get the mail out. This too would require access to AD, which means an "offline" network.

So, I get the point that everything you need is in that VM. That's easy! Seems the hard part is getting that info out.

Thoughts?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Re: Coupling Veeam w/ another backup program. Question/Comme

Post by Bunce »

Must admit these are also my concerns (possibly mis-understandings?) also. I've put a free trip to Australia for Gostev on the line if Veeam V5 can somehow offer the full functionality of native backup functionality of these products and existing agents such as BE. :=))

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... =15#p17380

While I can appreciate that an all-in-one product would be a god-send for us admins, and its great that Veeam isn't sitting on its hands doing nothing, I'm hesitant that its possible - I'd prefer the priority be on getting all the basic features (which we may well see in V5 anyway) perfected before expanding - but in the marketing game that aint going to win you customers ;-))
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Thank you for rising all these questions. Our upcoming Veeam Backup and Replication v5 will be addressing most of them. However, we already have a whitepaper describing how to do individual mailbox restores without restoring the entire Exchange server. This whitepaper is available through our support team.

By the way, if you've missed our webinar demostrating all the capabilities of v5, you may cosider looking thourgh this report or wait till the replay becomes available on our website:
http://jfvi.co.uk/2010/08/11/vpower-its ... s-any-more/

P.S. Sounds like Anton is going to spend his vacation in Australia :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

By the way, we will repeat the webinar next Tuesday, if you are interested.
http://www.veeam.com/go/vPower-webinar
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OREOSpeedwagon wrote:You can't bring up the "old" domain controller w/ the active one online, and you can't export that account as a flat file.
P.S. This is exactly what our less advertized "on-demand sandbox" v5 functionality allows you to do ;)