Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Backup Restore Testing - Need Some Feedback

Post by Khue »

So last year, I used the SureBackup process to restore whole VM's and test. SureBackup mounted my VMs from the backups on my DD2500 and got them to run as far as powering them on. All I am largely concerned about is powering on the VMs and validating that the local admin can login. Apart from that, I don't really want them to interact with the network. I am purely restoring them to prove that I can and that they will power up.

The biggest issue with the SureBackup is that it:
  • Took forever
  • Failed frequently because of timeout
All I want to do is restore the VM and have my ESXi environment power it on. I don't want to overwrite the existing VM and I don't want to interfere with it's production use. Is there a way to do an entire VM restore and register it with vCenter but not overwrite the existing server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Restore Testing - Need Some Feedback

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Not getting high performance with SureBackup from deduplicating appliance is somewhat expected. There's also a dedicated thread regarding Data Domain storages.

As another option, you could use full VM restore to alternative location with disabled NIC.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Here is a feedback from your fellow user with slower Data Domain model > Wow, what a difference!
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

foggy wrote:As another option, you could use full VM restore to alternative location with disabled NIC.
When I do the full VM restore, will it overwrite the existing VM? Like let's say for example I have VM1, VM2, and VM3 in a backup set. If I do a full restore on VM2, what (if any) procedures will I have to take when performing the restore to validate that VM2-restore doesn't over write the existing production VM2 (I had this exact issue with HP's Data Protector Software). In my old software, simply restoring to a different data store didn't prevent the VM-restore from being re-registered with vCenter and nullifying the existing production VM.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

When you do full VM restore with Veeam B&R, you have the ability to select restore mode and specifically point it to the new location.
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

Thanks foggy. I appreciate it.
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

Follow up question. Is there a way to do a restore but not include a disk or a set of disks? Like say I only wanted to restore a C: and D: partition but I do not want to restore any subsequent partitions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can use the Restore VM files option to restore only required files and then register VM in VI.
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

Okay and then just register the VMX? Maybe edit it to remove the other drive files?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you might want to remove unneeded drives from configuration.