Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Feature request - Veeam Endpoint Backup

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

really, Veeam Endpoint Backup develops very well, specifically since eMail notification has been added now. The last thing that's holding me and a lot of others known to me, is the use of SQL as a local db for Veeam Endpoint Backup, especially on machines using SQL databases itself.

I know that this must not interfer with other SQL database installations on the same server but I really wished, Veeam would start using a proprietary solution, instead of using SQL to convince all those guys that fear, Veeam Endpoint Backup could disturb other SQL installations.

Regards,
Didi7

P.S.: Feel free to add your feature requests for Veeam Endpoint Backup as a reply to this thread, if you like.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature request - Veeam Endpoint Backup

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Can you please describe what SQL Server interference issues are you seeing? We have not had any reported so far after over half a million downloads.
Didi7 wrote:I really wished, Veeam would start using a proprietary solution
I am really not sure if we want to switch from backup to database business just yet ;)
Didi7 wrote:Feel free to add your feature requests for Veeam Endpoint Backup as a reply to this thread, if you like.
Actually, please don't. We encourage dedicated topics for each feature request, otherwise it makes discussing the particular ones impossible :)

Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Gostev wrote: Actually, please don't. We encourage dedicated topics for each feature request, otherwise it makes discussing the particular ones impossible :)
Acknowledged :)
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Gostev wrote:I am really not sure if we want to switch from backup to database business just yet ;)
Please don't and continue to focus mainly on backup of course ;)

Though, I really wonder, how a lot of competitor solutions incorporate backup data into their products, without using external database components and no, I am not talking about Symantec Backup Exec, but a lot of image based backup solution come into my mind, which must have incorporated that part into their own product. I am really fine with how VBR 9.x uses Microsoft SQL database, as those servers are mostly dedicated backup machines, but installing VEB to any physical machine with a seperate SQL database as an external component and already having SQL database installations, in what form ever, on the same server make it difficult to argue, which part of the server is reponsible for problems in the moment of problems.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Furthermore, I would like to mention, that eMail notification in VEB 1.5 to internal SMTP-servers over port 25 (all I used so far) works like a charm. Thanks for finally incorporating that feature into the product.

Now, I might give VEB 1.5 a try on all those servers (physical or virtual), which are not part of our broad VMware cluster farms, which are already protected with Veeam Backup & Replication (I love this product) and do not already have dedicated SQL database component installations.

Is it allowed to use VEB 1.5 even on virtual machines?

Regards,
Didi7
MTeichmueller
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Teichmüller

Post by MTeichmueller »

Hi Folks,

Veeam makes my day! And my nights.....I sleep much better since my customers backup with veeam!
Nice new feature email notification, but I don´t understand why do I have to send emails to myself?
The from field is the to field? Makes no sense to me. Also sending emails to more than one address would be nice.
Separating email-addresses with ; don´t works.

More whishes
- reverse incremental Backups ....good idea if you want to copy only your last backup to a second location
- more than one loacation for scheduled backups.

But over all: GOOD JOB !

Michael T.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Didi,

Sure you can use VEB on a virtual machine, but if you are running B&R I am not sure what the advantage would be, unless it is for a specific reason
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Its a good way to back up machines with in guest initiated iscsi volumes.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 » 1 person likes this post

Mike Resseler wrote:Didi,

Sure you can use VEB on a virtual machine, but if you are running B&R I am not sure what the advantage would be, unless it is for a specific reason
VBR is already protecting a lot of our VMware cluster environment, but there are some environments left, which are still protected with an old version of Backup Exec, because of budget reason.

And since protecting every virtual machine with remote agents is very expensive, if you don't have VBR and Backup Exec V-Ray is the wrong choice in environments without 10GBit/s NICs, because of the speed limitations with NBD transport Mode, as Backup Exec still doesn't support hotadd, as long as the Media Server is not virtual, the best choice is to use VEB, specially since VEB is more efficient with deduplication before backup over vnic to a remote share.
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jan1 »

Hi guys,

As usually god job in new version !

But just to refresh :-) :

1. Multiple jobs
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/feature-reque ... 05-60.html

2. External USB drives backup
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/external-driv ... 45-45.html

3. Backup encryption (I know about VBR Repository but in very small companies local NAS is enough)

4. Command line without black screen
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/closing-cmd-w ... 17-15.html

Thanks!
Jan
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

My top requests refresh.

1. Encryption with Password Protection for Local Storage/Shared Folder - veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/password-prot ... 27945.html
This would prevent someone from stealing your data by stealing an external hard drive (or your home NAS server).

2. More Flexible Retention - veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/feature-reque ... 29521.html

I would like to see Min/Max options that would allow for VEB to automatically reclaim storage space when the disk gets full and the retention count is above the Min setting. (And then to adjust the free space warning to only activate when it is suspected that there is not enough free space to stay above the Min setting.) This would be useful when local storage is 100% dedicated to backup. Windows Backup kind of works like this by attempting to use all available disk space and then deleting old backups when the disk gets full. The advantage of this is that it's easy to set up. I wouldn't have to try to calculate how many retention points the storage can handle and it would provide maximum protection. With a fixed target, I have to be conservative to avoid running out of space.

As is, VEB is still great. I was looking for a home solution for years that "just worked".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

All, as already requested earlier, please don't dump multiple unrelated features into the same topic, as it makes it impossible to have a meaningful discussion of the particular ones. Please use the existing topics if you have anything to add (additional requirements, or even just your vote) regarding the specific request, or create the new topic for each feature request that have not been discussed on these forums yet. Thanks!