Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

Feature Request - Veeam Endpoint Backup, rollover destinatio

Post by Hariseldon1 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you VEEAM for Endpoint Backup! You have saved my home dev lab!

I use dedicated USB flash drives for backup destinations. These drives are not used by anything other than VEB.

In the "Configure Backup" wizard --> on the "Destination" section --> would it be possible to have a 4th option to provide VEB an entire storage device for it to manage storage of backups?

What I had in mind:
1) obey schedule/retention settings
2) give VEB a "place" to store data
3) let VEB fill-up the entire storage device and roll over old vib's as needed

Most of my needs are satisfied by a full backup and as many incremental backups as I can store. For backups I dedicate storage for each system I backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Veeam Endpoint Backup, rollover destin

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hari,

To be honest I am not sure I got your request. Since you are using USB drives as a backup destination, I am curious, if you are looking for something similar to USB rotation logic. If yes – check this article, as we already have a built in support from multiple USB devices as a backup target.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Hi Dima,

I saw that feature (USB rotation). Great feature!

I am speaking to a different use of USB. I am using USB as "last refuge" for the laptop road warrior.

If I want to keep as many backups of my laptop (like one backup every 4 hours) but the only place I have to store these backups is a 128 GB USB 3.0 "nano" flash drive.... this flash drive will never leave my laptop: I want this flash drive to fill up with backups, then I want to "consolidate" older backups (delete + free space) to maintain continuously rolling intact chain of backups (to retire old backup data when out of room on USB).

The continuous rolling intact chain of backups would always keep my 128 GB flash drive filled to capacity.

This would allow the laptop to be "self contained" including on-board storage dedicated to storing as many "intact long chain" of backups as the dedicated storage would store.

Hopefully this reply better communicates my use of the USB storage.

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hari,

Thank you for the clarification. You want old restore points to be automatically replaced by new restore points when there is not enough disk space on the set repository, right?
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Dima: Correct.

(perhaps simplest put: select either retention policy ... or select "use every megabyte and auto manage old data clean up when out of space for new data")

Thank You!
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

One of my challenges is finding that optimum balance between "number of days retention" and size of "dedicated drive for backup only"

For what it is worth, I still think it would be very handy to select destination: "Local Storage" --> Destination Storage Device
then choose either:
1) Specify days to retain
2) Or, Select "Let VEB manage space"

Set it and forget it. Let VEB retain as many days as the designated backup destination can store.

Day 0 = 40 GB free... Full Backup (10 GB size)... 30 GB Free
Day 1 = 30 GB Free... Increm Backup (2 GB size) ... 28 GB Free
... [example with increm backups = 2 GB size each day]
Day 11 = 10 GB Free... Increm Backup (2 GB size)... 8 GB Free
... [some arbiturary process to conclude "too low on free space" ergo time to roll up oldest increm backup file]...
day 12 = 15 GB Free... Increm Backup (2 GB size)... 13 GB Free

etc

Perhaps VEB/VSS there is a way to estimate size of backup before failure due to lack of free space?
(else some kind of less elegant formula filesize = multiple of the average increm backup file size.)