Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TomTiddler
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Telford

Newbie needs help with Windows shares

Post by TomTiddler »

I'm trying to set up whole computer backup of a Windows 10 computer (endpoint) to a Windows Home Server network share. I select "Browse" next to Shared Folder, I see my server root name, and select it. A Windows Security popup appears asking for Credentials. I enter a valid username and password and immediately a windows pops up, title "Veeam Endpoint Backup" with "The validation information class requested was invalid".

What am I doing wrong?

I should add a) everything works perfectly targeted to a local file, and b) I have full access via windows explorer to the same share using the same credentials.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Newbie needs help with Windows shares

Post by Dima P. »

Hello TomTiddler,

Sometimes the network surroundings are not correctly propagated from OS to the applications – please try to type in path to the folder manually and don’t forget to enter the access credentials. Thanks.
TomTiddler
Influencer

Post by TomTiddler »

Did both of those, no joy. Also, one of my machines shows the machine "root" or name, but no shares, even though they are all visible (and accessible) from Windows Explorer. I have tried giving "Everyone" full access to the share, doesn't change anything. I'm at a loss what to try next.
TomTiddler
Influencer

Post by TomTiddler »

OK. Solved! As expected, a dumb error on my part specifying wrong credentials, Sigh.
TomTiddler
Influencer

Post by TomTiddler »

Final question - I've been running a bunch of tests with different backup configurations, I know I can delete the backup chains from physical storage, but I can't see any way to remove them from the database. Is there a way to delete from the database?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ian.

You can't and it is actually a very bad idea also. My advice would be to never delete the backup chains manually. What you can do is change the number of days you want to keep a backup so they merge quicker. For example, at my parents, they have a machine full of pictures, video's... you know, how a parent can have lots of things from their children childrens :-)

Because of a limited size on their USB device, I keep a succesfull backup only for 3 days, to save on storage. Automatically, they get merged after 3 backups. You can find the full explanation about the retention process here: https://www.veeam.com/blog/backup-targe ... ained.html

Hope it helps

Mike
TomTiddler
Influencer

Post by TomTiddler »

Helps greatly, many thanx to you and everyone else at Veeam, I am slightly stunned at the quality of support and the responsiveness Well done guys.