Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
msdlca
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: G St-Laurent

Restore Exchange 2007 mailbox server from backup

Post by msdlca »

We have restored an Exchange 2007 mailbox server from a Veeam Backup (Veeam Backup 4.1 with VSS)

But Active Directory doesn't see the server as a member of active directory. It doesn't want to authenticate the server as if it was not the same server from which the backup was taken.

I'd like to know how to restore an Exchange 2007 server to make sure it is seen as a member server in active directory

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore Exchange 2007 mailbox server from backup

Post by Gostev »

It sounds like you are having some issues with your Active Directory here. Actually you do not need to do anything special after Exchange restore, it just works. May be there were some changes in your Active Directory after the Exchange backup you have restored was taken?
msdlca
Novice

Post by msdlca »

I don't think it's an issue with AD. But it's a weekly backup. Ad seems to see the computer as a new server with the same name of the other server from which I restored.

AD is denying this server, but it's the same.

Do you know how I can get this server to be authenticate ?

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Do you possibly have both "old" and "restored" Exchange servers running together? Also, check out event log on domain controller and exchange server, this may give some tips. May be it would be best to open a support case with Microsoft for faster resolution, too.
msdlca
Novice

Post by msdlca »

I think it should be useful for everyone using Veeam to know how to restore a server without being denyed if the backup is too old.

We're not running the old server because it has been lost in an SAN event.
Tom84
Influencer

Post by Tom84 »

This does sound more like an AD issue, I restored our Exch2003 server into a test environment the other day. I didn't have to do a thing for it to work, very impressive.

What are you actually seeing, including event viewer etc...
msdlca
Novice

Post by msdlca »

Too late we put a new Exchange server to replace this one.

But I think you should look at this problem. Perhaps when a backup has been taken days ago AD can deny the server to access the network because the Kerberos key certificate is too old or invalid.

It's important to us to make sure we can restore an Exchange server (especially the mailbox) in the event that something goes wrong. Maybe you should have a white paper about Exchange only instead of having a white paper for DC only.

Thank you