Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bulgie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Bulgier

How to copy to cloud storage with limited bandwidth?

Post by bulgie »

Sorry if this is a FAQ, I couldn't find it.
Small business with limited bandwidth and no budget for WAN acceleration.
Doing forward forever incrementals.
I started manually copying incremental backup files to an S3 bucket using Internet, after seeding the initial Full backups by sending AWS a hard drive to import.
I now see this can't work long term because when we reached the retention limit, the oldest increment got folded into the Full, so the Full file on S3 is no longer current.

Is it possible to make this work somehow? What are my better options? Hopefully something I can afford... (cheeap).

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: How to copy to cloud storage with limited bandwidth?

Post by Gostev »

Have you considered using a Veeam Cloud Connect provider instead for off-site backup?
It will not have this, and many other issues you will encounter using S3 (think restores).
bulgie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Bulgier

Post by bulgie »

Thanks, maybe I should look at Cloud Connect. So far, I barely know what that means. Do have a link handy or should I search for it myself?
I figured, in the event of a disaster, I'd spin up an EC2 instance and install Veeam on that, and connect the S3 bucket to it as its repository. Is that a supported/recommended solution?
Having the EC2 instance running full-time is too expensive, but it would be worth it if our server room at the office were on fire or underwater.

We already had S3 as the place our ShadowProtect backups go, for our remaining physical servers. (I hope that's not a dirty word in this forum...) Having all the DR/offsite backups in one place has advantages. Such as, give users a single VPN to connect to their DR site for all services.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do have a link handy or should I search for it myself?
Take a look at this section first, and feel free to ask any additional questions. In general, once you have a SP added to your infrastructure, you'll have an cloud repository that from your perspective wouldn't be any different from your ordinary repositories - you will be able to point backup or backup copy jobs to it as well as restore data from backups stored there.

Thanks.