Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shuji
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan

Hourly Backup and Daily Synthetic Full backup

Post by shuji »

Hi there,

I am trying to backup a VM hourly with incremental backup, and I set the restore points to 48, so that I can have two days of backups.

I also want to make a synthetic FULL backup everyday, so should I just check all days on the "Create synthetic full backups periodically"? and What time in the day does Veeam perform the synthetic full backups?

Lastly, I also want to make backup copy for off-site backups, so How often should I perform the backup copy job?

Thank you

Ryan
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Hourly Backup and Daily Synthetic Full backup

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ryan,
the first run in the day will make the synthetic full backup.
Backup copy setting depends on your goals. Do you want to backup copy all the backups?
shuji
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan

Post by shuji »

Hi Shestakov,

I am going to do the backup copy to offsite. I tried to make smallest backup copy, so I assume if I do the backup copy right after every VM hourly backup, the size of the backup copy would be the smallest.

What do you think?

Thank you.
Ryan
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are right, but the difference will not be crucial. I would start from data protection policy of your company.
If you schedule the backup copy job to run once a day, it will result in one restore point and if you set it to run after every backup job run, you will have 24 restore points in a day.
Thanks!