Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

WAN-X on VM, but on SSD?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm looking for cost-effective ways to improve our WAN-X performance & SAN-based SSDs are relatively expensive whereas I could potentially get a single SSD but installed directly in an ESXi host & configure a VMDK on that, dedicated to a proxy VM for WAN-X purposes.

I know WAN-X on VMs isn't recommended, but how about in the above scenario? Would be awesome if I could get one installed at each end of the link...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: WAN-X on VM, but on SSD?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I could potentially get a single SSD but installed directly in an ESXi host & configure a VMDK on that
Actually, SSD is no longer a requirement.
I know WAN-X on VMs isn't recommended
May I ask you why do you think so?

As it's stated in helpcenter:
To create a WAN accelerator, you need to assign the WAN accelerator role to a specific machine. You can use any 64-bit Windows-based machine in your environment, either physical or virtual. You can even assign the WAN accelerator role to the existing backup proxies and backup repositories
So I think your VM-based WAN-X will be fine with non-SSD disk, however you can try to use SSD if you want.

Thank you.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

Oh, very interesting, although is this a v9 performance improvement? I definitely read around here somewhere that running it on a VM wasn't advisable and we're migrating away from just about all our physical servers except the backup (repository) server these days. Looks like I shall be doing some further testing when I return from my holiday...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Oh, very interesting, although is this a v9 performance improvement?
WAN-X algorithms have been improved in v8.
Looks like I shall be doing some further testing when I return from my holiday...
Looking forward to hear abouth the results!

Thank you.