Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iisinfrastructure
Novice
Liked: never

New features - password management - PCI-DSS

Post by iisinfrastructure »

Hi,

I have made a request to the official support but they sent me back here. The feature I am looking for doesn't exist yet. Id' like to make a request for it cause, considering that compliance is going to be a standard in a lot company, I am pretty sure I am not the only one in need.

I am currently working on a PCI-DSS compliance meaning I need ton renew my password every 90 days including passwords use to encrypt saved copy of all my virtual machine. I know I am able to manage those password but what I need is the possibility to add an expiration date on those password or at least some kind of log saying that a password as been created at a certain time.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: New features - password management - PCI-DSS

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Actually, this feature does exist. I am sorry our support provided you with wrong information.
We do show the age for every password right in the Password Manager (see Last edited column).

Thanks!
iisinfrastructure
Novice

Hi,

First thank you.

Now that I got this intel is there any way I can receive an alert when this password is nearly expire (If I can put an expiration date) or at least check the creation date (with a script or some supervision tool)?

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

This following one-liner should show you description as well as modification date for all existing keys:

Code: Select all

Get-VBREncryptionKey | select description, modificationdateutc
Thanks.
iisinfrastructure
Novice

That was quick.You guys rock!

Now all I need to do is some scripting comparing the encryption date with the current one and send some alert. Not that hard.

Thanks a lot,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

This should give a general idea. Specify as $Delta variable number of days after which script should be considered as expired and you're good to go:

Code: Select all

$Delta = 0
Get-VBREncryptionKey | where {((Get-Date) - $_.ModificationDateUtc).days -gt $Delta} | select description, ModificationDateUtc
Thanks.