Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Run a script after file copy job

Post by k00laid »

Hello All,

We are using a file copy job to handle copying the backup files for our Cisco IPT implementation job to our DR site. These backups aren't very big, about 150 GB total for 14 days worth, but I've found that with file copy jobs there is no ability to control the number of days worth at the file copy job destination. This lead to a repository filling up with 2 years worth. Can you guys look into implementing the ability to run a script after the job processes much like you do with backup copy jobs? This would let me handle this in a cleaner, more automated manner.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Run a script after file copy job

Post by foggy »

Jim, you could trigger the job via Windows Task Scheduler along with subsequent cleanup script. Btw, why do you use file copy but not backup copy for that?
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Post by k00laid »

That is what I'm going to do foggy, use Task Scheduler but that has a holes in the logic. Say your backups break and you have a string of days without good backups, but the system is still deleting the old ones, eventually you will have no backups. Even though the Cisco IP Telephony servers are virtual, Cisco explicitly prohibits you from hitting them with Veeam, instead you have to use its built in backup system which just dumps a bunch of files to a folder and then DRS maintains the folder structure, so I just have file copy jobs to work with.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Say your backups break and you have a string of days without good backups, but the system is still deleting the old ones, eventually you will have no backups.
I think that you can include some checks that count the total number of backup files into your script so that if no new backup's appeared it sends an alert email instead of deletion.

Thank you.