Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
stephen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: stephen coveney

Restore image using endpoint

Post by stephen »

I've been trying to use Veeam endpoint backup for the first time. I have created an image with the media recovery and burnt it onto a disk, I have also put it onto a external hard drive.
The problem I am getting is when I try to restore it onto another machine. I can get to the Veeam recovery screen but the Windows Recovery Environment option "cannot find the system image" on either the CD or hard drive. There's no option to browse for the image. I also tried using the Bare Metal feature but while I can find the image it says it cant auto-match the disks and I have to do a manual mapping of the disks.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and fixed it without mapping disks.#
Thanks
yosemity
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mikhail

Re: Restore image using endpoint

Post by yosemity »

Stephen,

If another machine have different HDD and VEB cant auto-mapping the disks, you must do it manual. It is a correct behavior.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore image using endpoint

Post by Dima P. »

Stephen,
I can get to the Veeam recovery screen but the Windows Recovery Environment option "cannot find the system image" on either the CD or hard drive.
This component might be missing the OS used for recovery media creation, thus Windows Recovery Environment requests for a Windows installation disk. Anyway, Windows Recovery Environment should be used in conjunction with windows native backups – in order to restore from VEB backup file you should use Bare Metal Recovery Tool.
I also tried using the Bare Metal feature but while I can find the image it says it cant auto-match the disks and I have to do a manual mapping of the disks.
Yes, if you are restoring to dissimilar hardware i.e smaller disk or disk where some volumes are allocated VEB cannot erase the contents without warning you and that’s why it prompts for a manual volume allocation. You may also need to resize the volume if is larger than existing disk.

Good How-To that explains Bare Metal Restore process can be found here. Thanks