Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Largo7
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request: Simplify enter wifi password in recovery

Post by Largo7 »

I am one of those paranoid types who has a (very) long WPA password.

When I boot into the recovery mode, and attempt to wirelessly restore an image stored on a NAS in my network, Veeam Endpoint prompts me for my network's WPA password. As expected, however it's a pain to re-type it in each time. Since it's too long to remember, printing it on a piece of paper is insecure and manually typing it is error-prone.

I would like to see some method where users can easily cut and paste the PW - perhaps from a text file on another inserted USB key or some other way to navigate to a text file. At present, the file browser in the recovery media is very limited in what types of files it can search for.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Simplify enter wifi password in recover

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Largo7,

You can do it now: create a txt, save a password and place the txt to in a recovery media volume. Next time you load the recovery media you can open the .txt file via command line and get the password copied.
Largo7
Novice

Post by Largo7 »

Thank you Dima P.

I created a folder and file wpa\wpa.txt containing the network password - and placed it in the root of the recovery media. Now I have some additional questions:

(1) When I boot into the recovery media, and select Tools and the CLI, the default path that opens is X:\windows\system32. How do I navigate from there to the root recovery media path containing my wpa.txt file? Or, should I move the text file to some other location?

(2) Once I navigate using the CLI to the wpa.txt file, if I issue the "copy" command, is there a clipboard to capture the contents of the file?

(3) If YES, will the clipboard data survive when I exit the CLI and Tools and go into the Bare Metal Recovery GUI to paste the password into the field?

Thank you.
Largo7
Novice

Post by Largo7 »

<BUMP>

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can provide some assistance with my follow up questions in the previous post.

In particular, how to navigate to files using Command Line Interface when booted into the recovery media. In my case, it's a USB key.

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Largo7,

Thanks for bringing this up! The easiest way would be to start a notepad via cmd and use File > Open to search for your WiFipassword.txt file. Then just copy and paste the password.