Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
hd.inspecteur
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas N.

Is it possible to backup from a network share?

Post by hd.inspecteur »

I was wondering is it possible to backup the content of a attached network share?

Or only internal volumes?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is it possible to backup from a network share?

Post by Dima P. »

Thomas,

Only internal volumes could be selected as backup targets but if your NAS supports iSCSI you can mount a volume thru windows iSCSI initiator and back it up as local one.
hd.inspecteur
Novice
Full Name: Thomas N.

Post by hd.inspecteur »

Thank you very much for your answer, Dima. I will look into it.

We are about to migrate our whole infrastructure. Now we don't have a SAN and 90% of our machines are physical. And we have to backup roughly 25 TB from USB drives to NASes until our systems are enterprise grade.

When we go virtual I will try my best to convince my department to buy Veeam, since I have really good experiences with Veeam (Hyper-V) from my former job.

Edit: btw, how does Veeam 8 compare to the solutions NetApp and EMC offer with their solutions? I'd like to backup VMs, copy job them to a second site and cheaper NASes, also desaster recover might be a must.

Would you say, from a technical point not a sales view ;), that Veeam is competitive enough to spare the licenses the manufacturers of storage solutions offer?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

From a pure technical POV it is pretty difficult to compare them... If you plan on buying a NetApp on one site and a cheap storage device on the other hand... We still will work but at a cost of performance obviously.

If you can afford two NetApps or EMCs, you can not only leverage those technologies (one layer) but added our solution on it will give you additional protection possibilities and more functionality. It is all about what you want to spend and the last one I described (multiple layers that are integrated...) offers a great and fast DR solution with awesome RPO and RTO which can't be achieved with just a bunch of disks...

So first, what is the requirement of your company? If it is RPO & RTO of less than 15 minutes... or do you have time?
SteveB
Lurker
Full Name: Steve Beguhn

[MERGED] Backup recommendation

Post by SteveB »

First off, great product. I am new to VEB, but am loving it. Though I have run across something, so my question. I have a NAS box I wish to back up. It is just over 9TB in file size. What is the recommended method to back up? I guess, what are others with this size or larger, backing up to? I wanted to ask this question first in case I am approaching this the wrong way before going to technical support.
yosemity
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mikhail

[MERGED]Re: Backup recommendation

Post by yosemity »

Steve,
First of all, VEB - it`s a Endpoint solution, 9Tb, in my opinion, is too large for VEB.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,

Indeed, VEB does not currently support backup of the mapped drives or shared folders, but this feature is in the list.
Manley23
Lurker
Full Name: Manley Peterson

Post by Manley23 »

Dima - related to this, I was just curious - do you guys post which features have been approved for next release? Also, do you have a tentative date of release for the next version of Veeam Endpoint Backup Free? Will it be in weeks or months? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Manley,

I am sorry, but we do not disclose the approved features due competitive reasons. Next VEB release is planned for this year. By the way, are you looking for the feature described in this thread?