Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
lday
Lurker
Liked: never

Report for failed virtual hosts

Post by lday »

My VMWare administrator asked the question if I would be able to provide a report through Operations Manager of the VM's currently on a Virtual Host during a system failure/crash. We have a cluster of virtual hosts that are able to failover to one another and provide load balancing when one does fail, but sometimes the applications on these virtual hosts do not play nicely when they are migrated to a new virtual host. The administrator would like a report of what is on that virtual host at the time of failure so these virtual machines and their applications can be investigated if needed. In the canned nworks report I see the EST Host Configuration Report provides a listing of virtual machines per virtual host, but I'd like to take that a step further. Any ideas on how I might be able to glean this information is appreciated. Also, I can provide further clarification if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Lisa
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Report for failed virtual hosts

Post by Alec King »

Hi Lisa,

Well, you've already found the ESX Host Configuration Report - and there is a similar VM Configuration Report in our MP.
The ESX Host report shows the VMs on each Host, and the VM Report also shows the "host" property for each VM.

However seems to me you want to capture a change, when a VM moves to another host, e.g. due to HA failover or DRS.

You can do this right now by using one of the built-in SCOM Reports, from the Generic Report Library, called Configuration Changes.
Here's how -

* Open SCOM Reporting, Microsoft Generic Report Library, and run Configuration Changes.
* Click Add Group, search for "guest" and add the group 'nworks VMware Guests' (assuming you want to report on all VMs - you can use any group)
* Choose your dates (bracketing your known host failover event for example)

Run report, and you will see date and time that any VM property changed - and "host" is one of those properties.
That should give you what you need!
You can also export report to excel for example, and do some smart filtering for just the 'host' property you want.

Although - please also check out Veeam Reporter Enterprise! :) It has some very cool reports for tracking changes in your VMware environment.

Hope the above helps - let us know!

Thanks
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
lday
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Report for failed virtual hosts

Post by lday »

Thank you for the information Alec. I gave that a shot, thanks for the tip.

I did load the Veeam Reporter, but just have the Basic version. From what I can tell I will need the Enterprise version to accomplish what I need in regards to the VM failovers.

Thanks for the response!