Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TheHolySnail
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Bethge

StoreOnce as Backup Copy Job Target

Post by TheHolySnail »

I have a question regarding the use of a StoreOnce appliance as a backup copy job target. I did read the configuration guide for Catalyst and Veeam and also did read about the limitations mentioned in the Veeam user guide.
The guide states that
The length of backup chains (chains that contain one full backup and a set of subsequent incremental backups) on HPE StoreOnce cannot be greater than 7 restore points. The recommended backup job schedule is the following: not more than 1 incremental backup once a day, not fewer than one full backup (active or synthetic) once a week.
However, I do find it strange that this particular bullet point is not mentioned in the configuration guide. I do understand that the Catalyst integration is a new feature and as such maybe not yet used or documented to the fullest extent.
My question now comes down to this: Does this limitation also apply to backup copy jobs or do I only have to worry about this if I use a StoreOnce as a primary backup repository? This whole Catalyst integration would be (imo) pretty pointless if this also applied to backup copy jobs since they're always incremental forever..

Thank you,
Jan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: StoreOnce as Backup Copy Job Target

Post by foggy »

Hello Jan, this limitation is global for Catalyst repositories and applies to backup copy jobs as well.
TheHolySnail
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Bethge

Re: StoreOnce as Backup Copy Job Target

Post by TheHolySnail »

Hi Alexander, thank you for your quick reply.