Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

help with surebackup networking

Post by kjstech »

I am trying to bring up a dc and some other vms in a surebackup "lab". I need help with networking.

I ran a job and the dc came up but with a strange ip address. It seemed to be assigned the same static IP as the existing, running VM, 10.1.1.2 but said (duplicate) so it had an autoconfiguration IP address. SureBackup Lab proxy has dhcp turned on that interface its supposed to come up on, so I changed it to DHCP and then the DC got a regular lan dhcp ip address, not a lab one. So I quickly powered it off because god forbid it being a real dc, actually a duplicate of a real dc, an issue with active directory could be happen in a heartbeat.

How can can I truely ISOLATE a surebackup lab from production? It doesn't seem to be isolating anything at all. In fact the DC surebackup test fails because I don't think its looking at the right IP to do its tests.
kjstech
Expert

Re: help with surebackup networking

Post by kjstech »

Exchange server got real noisy with our event log system, in fact it couldn't' contact the one DC for whatever reason that this "sure backup" lab job tried to run. I forced ipconfig /flushdns on exchange server and it was able to contact the REAL dc again. CodeTwo exchange rules pro was really chatty about "object not set to reference" errors, I restarted those services a few times and that settled down. So hopefully there's no other impact. I ran dcdiag on two domain controlelrs here and everything looked healthy, including repadmin /showrepl.

Point is this could have been a detrimental situation had I left the "sure backup" job containing a Domain Controller running. Thankfully I quickly force powered off the vm as soon as I saw it get a real LAN IP and an email from our exchange server about SACL (domain controller access change) and a bunch of CodeTwo exchange rules errors about not being able to log in.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

I am going to try changing the SureBackup lab to the single host automatic networking and see what happens. I made the change but Veeam did not clean up after itself. Veeam SureBackup Lab dv- networks are all still there in my distributed switch.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Well I'm not sure that is going to work. Started a surebackup job and have this warning during started:
Network: 1 production dv-Server Network, isolated unknown, not mapped
Results: 0/1 network(s) mapped, 1 unmapped
Summary: One or more networks cannot be mapped, check virtual lab settings.

I clicked stop session but its still in the starting phase. Hopefully it gets to a point where it will tear down the session.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Nevermind I think I got it. I came up with new VLAN ID's that I never used before and now it actually seems isolated. I thought the vlan id column was asking for the production vlan ID's so the sure backup proxy appliance could map the networks 1:1, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The language in there is a bit confusing.