Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nj_uk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Neil Jones

Change Block tracking question

Post by nj_uk »

I understand that Change Block Tracking feature is the fastest way to perform incremental backups and am currently trialling the software using this method.

If I allocate additional space to an existing VM's drive then use Windows diskpart to extend the volume, will I then need to perform a full backup or can I still perform incremental?

If I perform a full backup do I lose all my rollback points?

Finally I perform snap shots prior to performing any changing to my VMs such as patch management would this interfere with the Change Block feature?

Regards

Neil Jones

PS

Do you have any recommendation for configuring the OS of the Veeam server prior to connecting it up the FC SAN?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Change Block tracking question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Neil,

Yes, your understanding is correct, Change Block Tracking is the fastest way to perfrom incremental job runs. I haven't tested this scenario (extending disk partitions) in my labs, but it should work. However, I would perform a full backup just to be safe.

If you perform a full backup you won't use lose your rollbacks, all of them, including previous Full, will be available for restore and will be handled by the retention policy configured in advanced job settings.

All the snapshots are merged to the parent virtual disk in all vStorage API modes. If you need to backup your current snapshot tree, you should use legacy Network mode (3rd radiobutton), but please note that vStorage API CBT is not available in this mode.

Yes, there is an existing topic that guides through setup requirements for SAN mode to work, here is the link for F.A.Q. section:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 027#p10597

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

nj_uk wrote:Finally I perform snap shots prior to performing any changing to my VMs such as patch management would this interfere with the Change Block feature?
No
nj_uk
Novice

Post by nj_uk »

Thank for the answers they were very useful.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi,

yesterday i ran out of space on a VM and i extended the partition with diskpart ( had to attach it to another vm as it was a boot volume ) backup still works fine and so does a file restore i did from the previous partition

hope that helps

trev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Trev, thanks for the testing and posting back!
nj_uk
Novice

Post by nj_uk »

Thanks for that Trev.