Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
edwink
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Edwin Kloesel

tape with data marked as cleaning tape

Post by edwink »

Hello,

a backup-to-tape-job made some things i don't understand:

- the Job marked a tape (with current data from the same day) as a cleaning-tape and let it dissapear in Veeam
- the Job overwrote another tape with data from the day before, although there is a Retention-policy which should protect the tape for 6 days.

I opened a ticket a week ago (ID# 01066158) but still have no solution.

Anyone knows how i can "restore" the wrong marked tape and bring it back from the dead ?

Pay Attention when your real cleaning tape will be recognized as "worn out" by the drive.

Edwin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: tape with data marked as cleaning tape

Post by veremin »

the Job marked a tape (with current data from the same day) as a cleaning-tape and let it dissapear in Veeam
It appears to be the first time when an user reports that backup server decides to mark a valid medium hosting backup data as a cleaning tape. I think deep log investigation is needed here to find out what's caused that. Kindly, keep working with the support team.
the Job overwrote another tape with data from the day before, although there is a Retention-policy which should protect the tape for 6 days
What overwrite protection and mediaset creation settings does a given media pool have?

Thanks.
edwink
Novice

Post by edwink »

v.Eremin wrote:What overwrite protection and mediaset creation settings does a given media pool have?

Thanks.
Media creation Settings: Create new media set "daily at 12:00 Everyday"
Retention Policy: Protect data for "6 Days"

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, I have to say that the described situation looks unexpected, since with the given settings the tape written yesterday should not have been overwritten, unless it was manually either marked as free or erased. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Anyone knows how i can "restore" the wrong marked tape and bring it back from the dead ?
I wonder if running tape catalogue on the affected tape might recognize it contents. Was this tape labeled somehow?
edwink
Novice

Post by edwink »

The tape was labeled as a backup-tape and it was assigned to the media-pool for dayly-backups. It was not a new tape, it was a tape Hosting data the Software had written 4 hours before. The tape catalogue shouldn' t recognize this ?

Meanwhile the Support Team created an SQL-query for me and after executing this query i have now access to the tape and its data. Thanks a lot !

The second part of the call persists, the Software overwrote another media hosting recent data although the retencion policy should protect the tape for 6 days.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Keep working with support team, logs investigation is likely to shed a light on what's led to the said situation (a medium having been overwritten before tape protection period expiration). Thanks.
monstermania
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Post by monstermania »

Hi There,
i've get the same issue here on a tape Job on 26 March!
Veeam 9 marked the backup tape from media pool 'daily' as a cleaning tape. Now the tape is gone from the 'daily' media pool!

Here are the entrys into Job summary:

Code: Select all

26.03.2016 09:01:27 :: TapeDrive alert: The tape drive is due for routine cleaning:.  Wait for the current operation to finish. Then use a cleaning cartridge. Check the tape drive user manual for device specific cleaning instructions. 
26.03.2016 09:01:27 :: TapeDrive alert: The last cleaning cartridge used in the tape drive has worn out:.  Discard the worn out cleaning cartridge. Wait for the current operation to finish. Then use a new cleaning cartridge. 
26.03.2016 09:01:27 :: Marking tape NBG363L5 as a cleaning cartridge 
How can i get back the tape 'NBG363L5' into the media pool!

best regards
Dirk
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dirk,

Please open a case and let the support team investigate the logs. Do not forget to post the case ID so we could track the progress. Thanks.
monstermania
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Post by monstermania »

I've also openen a case: ID # 01744432
And I get also the sql script to get back my backup tape into media pool.