Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BillyT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Thompson

Backups failing...

Post by BillyT »

Backups are failing on one of my Veeam servers. I have verified connectivity via venter and can browse the datastores in the Veeam UI. A test backup of one of the failing VMs via VC fails as well with same error. A test backup of same VM directly via ESXi host is successful. Other Veeam server backing up different VMs via same VC running fine. Backing up via vSphere API, SAN w/ failover. Case #530301 open with support, if anyone has seen this error would love input. Veeam 4.1.2, ESXi 4.1, vCenter 4.1. Thanks!

Retrieving VM disks information...
Failed to retrieve "SCSI (0:0) Hard disk 1" disk information. Check VM virtual hardware configuration.
GetLocalText failed
Client error: NFC storage connection is unavailable. Storage: [stg:datastore-37120,nfchost:host-38661,conn:vcenter]. Storage display name: [LUN_NAME].
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:vcenter,nfchost:host-38661,stg:datastore-37120@servername/servername.vmdk].
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backups failing...

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Bill,

On all technical issues I would recommend to continue working with our support team. However, if you experience this issue while configuring backup jobs through vCenter Server connection, then it seems like there is a lack of permissions to peform backup operations. Please check that you're using a proper account with enough permissions on the source datastore where VMs are located.

To check it I would try to download the same VMDK file using vSphere Client - Datastore browser while logged in with the same account you've specified in vCenter Server connection properties.

Hope this makes sense!
BillyT
Influencer

Post by BillyT »

Sorry, I thought I already covered that in my initial query - I can browse the datastores via both VirtualCenter and Veeam with the service account. When trying to copy the VMDK I get the same error. This account is also used in the Veeam configuration that is still working on a different Veeam host. I can backup the failing VMs from the other Veeam host successfully with same account.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I've just wanted to make sure that you're able to do both, browse and download this VMDK file using vSphere Client from the same VM you have Veeam backup server installed. If this fails then it must be something wrong with the VM with Veeam backup server, as it does work from other VMs with the same Veeam backup server configurations.
BillyT
Influencer

Post by BillyT »

No, same VM can be backed up by other Veeam server. This error is occurring when backing up all VMs from the failing Veeam server - about a dozen.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to VM with Veeam backup server. Seems like this VM is corrupted, as it is prevents from accessing vmdk files for vSphere Client as well. I would recommend to look through VMware's log files for this particular VM with Veeam backup server for more information.
BillyT
Influencer

Post by BillyT »

You are still not clear enough - dozens of VMs backed up with this Veeam server are failing with same error. These same VMs can be backed up by another Veeam server. Understand? You can stop replying if you want - I understand it is confusing. I am looking for someone who can contribute knowledge of this error.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I understand the issue, it only relates to one VM, which might be not running properly. And this VM has Veeam backup server installed. Please continue working with our support team to get quicker assistance.
BillyT
Influencer

Post by BillyT »

Lol - the Veeam server is not a VM...
BillyT
Influencer

Post by BillyT »

Fixed issue by completly uninstalling and reinstalling Veeam on the server.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for the update! Good to know that Vitaly was right - the issue was with actual Veeam Backup server :)