Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Sharepoint Explorer on Cold Site repo

Post by Zew »

I can't seem to get this to work. I have a Cold Site Repo setup which is Linux managed server on the other site over a IPsec tunnel on a 5 mbps connection.

I have all my backup copy jobs running like a treat, and am soon going to implement bitlooker, and am really excited about this.

I managed to test guest file recovery from backups stored on this cold site repo and it works a treat, takes a little while to create the syslink but that's to be expected.

However; once I have the FLR folder linked to my SQL server guest file systems I attempt to run SharePoint explorer to recover SharePoint files but it fails to mount even the smallest DB instance.

Is this cause it has to copy the entire DB over the syslink 5 mbps connection, and thus causes it to fail? The only thing I get is a failure message but not clear indication as to why it failed.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Sharepoint Explorer on Cold Site repo

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Where is your Staging SQL server located and what SQL version is installed? Also, how big is your content database?

Thank you.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Hello PTide, it is currently directly on my All-in-One virtual Veeam server.

I've tried multiple databases my normal one that I would expect to need to recover files on is about 20 gigs. But I also tried with the smallest DB available @ around 600 MB's
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Just to check if I got everything correctly:

You have two sites - A and B.

Assume All-in-One VBR is on A and so does the SharePoint server that is to be restored. The repository you're trying to pull backup from is on the site B and there is a 5Mbps connection between A and B.

If everything is correct then the following is happening when you're trying to restore SharePoint:

SharePoint VM restore point is mounted to the mount server (which is the repo by default). After that VBR attempts to attach SharePoint DB to your staging server over 5 Mbps link. Please try place mount server on the A side and see if that helps.

Thank you.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

I'm not trying to recover the SharePoint VM (AKA the WFE(Web Front End)) I'm trying to grab files that are stored on a sharepoint database.

Everything else you have right.

Site A) All in one Veeam server -(5mbps)-> Has a managed server (Debian) on Site B -(1gbps)-> NFS storeage.

Step 1) On Veeam -> B&R -> Disk -> Select backup VM (SQL server) windows file recovery. Thus (Veeam c:\FLR\SQL Server) is a syslink to the managed server(debain above) to the mdf and ldf files. (this mount point/ syslink works)

Step 2) Open Veeam SharePoint explorer -> point to the mdf database (Point to C:\FLR\SQL Server\.mdf files) -> Point to corresponding ldf file -> attemps to mount the database from the granual SQL files taht are a syslink to site B.

Step 2 fails with an unspecific error. So I can't figure what exactly the issue is. My guess is it has to grab a copy of the entire DB file before it can search through it. I don't know the Veeam magic sauce at this stage of the process...
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Ok, so the process fails at mounting SharePoint database on your staging server which is on the same server where your VBR console and explorers reside at.
Step 2 fails with an unspecific error.
Could you please open a case with our support team so they can take a closer look at your setup?

Thank you.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

I contact support about this one, I had updated to V9, so when I went to demo my issue, it didn't happen, and instead worked as I wanted it too.

I can't provide details to what fixed it, but updating to V9 seems to be pretty... pretty.. pretty... pretty dang good.

Just one thing I found really weird (not sure if theres an option to specify otherwise) when you open the new Veeam consol and do a Gust file recovery, it mounts the C:\VeeamFLR on the laptop/desktop running the client and not the Veeam backup server itself. While this is fine for the most part, I don't get why the console added Veeam Explorer for SharePoint with the console? Almost no user using Veeam and backing up a sharepoint environment will have an equal SQL version on their laptop to act as the staging DB (I'm assuming most SharePoint users are using MS SQL 2008 R2 and up, this is an expensive license, and if you do happen to have SQL express installed, you are limited to 10 gig DB's)

just a curious wonder as to why this was done this way..
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Almost no user using Veeam and backing up a sharepoint environment will have an equal SQL version on their laptop to act as the staging DB
You can specify any server of your choice to act as a staging server.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Zew wrote:Just one thing I found really weird (not sure if theres an option to specify otherwise) when you open the new Veeam consol and do a Gust file recovery, it mounts the C:\VeeamFLR on the laptop/desktop running the client and not the Veeam backup server itself.
Initially, backup is mounted to the server initiating the restore, so you could browse the VM file system. Then, if you perform restore to original location, during the actual restore it is mounted to the server configured as a mount server for the backup repository.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Thanks both for your replies.

PTide, That explains..... everything haha