Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
awhittl3
Lurker
Liked: never

Restore points on an hourly backup

Post by awhittl3 »

If for example I create a forever forward incremental backup that runs on an hourly basis and schedule this to start. Veeam will automatically start the whole process with a full backup on the first hour mark and then continue the rest of the day with hourly incremental backups. Then at 12am, the start of a new day, Veeam will create a full synthetic backup to start then repeat the incremental backups until again the process starts at 12am for the next day. At least this is what I read here on the forums and in the user guide.

So a total of 24 restore points is needed to include the full backup and the subsequent incremental backups. My question is this, if I set the restore points to more than 24, say 30, would the remaining 6 restore points end up being the full backups from the previous days?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Restore points on an hourly backup

Post by alanbolte »

If you have it set to forever forward (no fulls), you get one full and the rest increments.
If you have it set to forward incremental, with fulls scheduled every day (whether synthetic or active), then you're correct about 12am.

Veeam does not preferentially keep full backups. For a better understanding of how retention for the different job types is handled (regardless of whether your backups are hourly or daily), try KB1799: Animated Retention Policies/Modes