Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TonioRoffo
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Yves Smolders

Backup Copy Job scheduling issue

Post by TonioRoffo »

Hello,

I have a specific question regarding backup copy job scheduling - the situation I have set up is working perfectly, however, it is throwing one (expected) error, which my client doesn't understand:

* My main backup jobs are running daily (monday until saturday) at 00:10, three jobs chained together. This works perfectly, the job finishes a few hours later in the morning.

* I have a rotating backup copy job, with destination on a QNAP (the external disk is shown as a SMB share name, works perfectly) with following settings:

- Copy every day at 10:00
- registry entry is set to overwrite the disk (no room for more than one VBK)
- Restore points to keep 2 (I never get more than one anyway)
- Schedule set from 10am to midnight every day from monday -> friday

* Expected result:

- Every weekday at 10:00AM the copy job runs to a rotated disk placed by my client. Disk gets erased due to the registry entry and a full VBK is made out of the backups.

* Real result:

- As above, with one caveat: mondays at 10:01 I get a copy job failed because of "Copy interval has expired". A few minutes later the new copy job starts and runs the copy job as expected. The failed copy job starts on *saturday* at 10:00
- Client receives failed backup e-mail and is confused.

The $64.000 question: How do I avoid this error?

* What I would really like to be able to do is schedule backup copy jobs only to run on weekdays.

Thanks for the feedback!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job scheduling issue

Post by foggy »

To avoid this error, you can either change the backup copy job scheduling settings to allow it to copy the restore point created by the source job on Saturday night, or involve some scripting to disable/enable the job for the required period.