BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Veeam Logoby cstemaly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:23 pm

So I have BackupCopy jobs, and they work, but they're driving me crazy with errors after the first week.
I have 7 jobs that run M-Th. They start at 6pm are usually done by 2AM. I have a 1Gb pipe to my DR site, so the copy window is anytime.

Initially, I had the BackupCopy jobs set to run daily at 4AM, which made them continuous.
Now that the weekend has hit, I have the jobs being marked as failed (and am getting lots of email) because no new restore points are available Saturday or Sunday.

What I would like to have happen is for the backup copy jobs to just run after the Daily backup is done - triggered at the end of the job. How should I handle the "Copy Every:" part of the configuration to do that and not worry about the weekends?
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Re: BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:24 am

Seems that the only way to avoid failures currently is to temporarily disable the backup copy job for the weekend. I believe this can be automated with the help of PowerShell.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 am

It appears that even if you go to the setting of backup copy job, set “during the following periods only” and prohibits job execution during the weekend, it won’t help.

So, it seems that PS is the only option you have. And here’s the script that enables/disables a given copy job:

Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your backup copy job"
$Job.DisableScheduler()

Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name " Name of your backup copy job "
$Job.EnableScheduler()

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby cstemaly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the advice - once again, Powershell never crossed my mind as a possible solution.... I'll have to stop underestimating it!

If I set my "Compact full backup file" for Saturday, will it still run while the job is disabled?
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 am

Yep, sometimes PowerShell might be useful, indeed, as a way to bypass existing limitations. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:43 am

cstemaly wrote:If I set my "Compact full backup file" for Saturday, will it still run while the job is disabled?

Obviously, not.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 am

Also, please be aware “Compact full” is required when only Simple Retention scheme is selected. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Backup Copy Jobs Fail when no new points available

Veeam Logoby localjoost » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 am

Since Veeam v7 we have been using copy jobs to get the backup files to a secondary location.
We create Backups on monday through friday.

The copy job is scheduled to copy once a day, and only during office hours (7:00AM - 7:00PM), on tuesday to saturday to make sure we don't put unnecessary load on the backup storage.

Somehow the job runs even outside the hours posted above, it just sits there waiting for permitted network usage period or new restore points.
But at the start of the next day (7:00AM) It fails with the error "Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval"
Now even though it is correct that some (all) VMs were not processed during these hours, it was simply because there was nothing to process (no new restore points)

So the job runs even on sunday and monday, but since there is nothing to process, it fails.
It seems to me that the job should not fail in this case, but rather give a warning or informational alert.

Is there a way to circumvent this? Even though nothing is wrong, it is not clear to our operators what the current state of these jobs is.
localjoost
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Joost Hermans

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:29 am

Joost, please review this topic for the possible way to avoid the failures.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby localjoost » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions foggy, I will look in to using powershell for this.
However this is not really a solution as much as a workaround.

Is this something that will be fixed in a future update?
localjoost
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Joost Hermans

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 am

Hi, Joost. For now it’s not possible to change this behavior, unless you put some scripting into use. Though, we may consider some changes of the said logic in the future releases. So, thanks for the feedback; highly-appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Some VMs were not processed during the copy inter

Veeam Logoby cparker4486 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello,

I don't understand this error message. I've looked in the documentation and online and didn't find this error message described specifically.

I have my copy job set to copy every weekday at 12AM and I also have the schedule set to run continuously. On Friday at 11PM my backup job ran and it completed at 11:42PM. At 2:02AM the copy job started and two of eight VMs resulted in this error. The next copy job started at 1:51AM Sunday and all VMs failed. The next copy job ran this morning at 1:02AM and is in an Idle state (all VMs Pending).

Can someone explain what's happening? Also, should I change my schedule for the backup copy job in some way?
-- Chris
cparker4486
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Re: "Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval"

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Chris, what is specified as a source for this backup copy job and what is the schedule of the corresponding backup job if it is set as a source?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi, Chris.

Most likely, there was nothing for backup copy job to copy during the interval. In other words, no new restore points were created at that time, and backup job threw the corresponding message.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cparker4486 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:39 pm

foggy wrote:Chris, what is specified as a source for this backup copy job and what is the schedule of the corresponding backup job if it is set as a source?

The source is a backup job called Tier 1. That job runs weekdays at 11PM. In the most recent instance it finished before 12AM Saturday.
-- Chris
cparker4486
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication