Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Post by cstemaly »

So I have BackupCopy jobs, and they work, but they're driving me crazy with errors after the first week.
I have 7 jobs that run M-Th. They start at 6pm are usually done by 2AM. I have a 1Gb pipe to my DR site, so the copy window is anytime.

Initially, I had the BackupCopy jobs set to run daily at 4AM, which made them continuous.
Now that the weekend has hit, I have the jobs being marked as failed (and am getting lots of email) because no new restore points are available Saturday or Sunday.

What I would like to have happen is for the backup copy jobs to just run after the Daily backup is done - triggered at the end of the job. How should I handle the "Copy Every:" part of the configuration to do that and not worry about the weekends?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Post by foggy »

Seems that the only way to avoid failures currently is to temporarily disable the backup copy job for the weekend. I believe this can be automated with the help of PowerShell.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It appears that even if you go to the setting of backup copy job, set “during the following periods only” and prohibits job execution during the weekend, it won’t help.

So, it seems that PS is the only option you have. And here’s the script that enables/disables a given copy job:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your backup copy job"
$Job.DisableScheduler()

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name " Name of your backup copy job "
$Job.EnableScheduler()
Thanks.
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Post by cstemaly »

Thanks for the advice - once again, Powershell never crossed my mind as a possible solution.... I'll have to stop underestimating it!

If I set my "Compact full backup file" for Saturday, will it still run while the job is disabled?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, sometimes PowerShell might be useful, indeed, as a way to bypass existing limitations. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

cstemaly wrote:If I set my "Compact full backup file" for Saturday, will it still run while the job is disabled?
Obviously, not.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Also, please be aware “Compact full” is required when only Simple Retention scheme is selected. Thanks.
localjoost
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joost Hermans

[MERGED] Backup Copy Jobs Fail when no new points available

Post by localjoost »

Since Veeam v7 we have been using copy jobs to get the backup files to a secondary location.
We create Backups on monday through friday.

The copy job is scheduled to copy once a day, and only during office hours (7:00AM - 7:00PM), on tuesday to saturday to make sure we don't put unnecessary load on the backup storage.

Somehow the job runs even outside the hours posted above, it just sits there waiting for permitted network usage period or new restore points.
But at the start of the next day (7:00AM) It fails with the error "Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval"
Now even though it is correct that some (all) VMs were not processed during these hours, it was simply because there was nothing to process (no new restore points)

So the job runs even on sunday and monday, but since there is nothing to process, it fails.
It seems to me that the job should not fail in this case, but rather give a warning or informational alert.

Is there a way to circumvent this? Even though nothing is wrong, it is not clear to our operators what the current state of these jobs is.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Joost, please review this topic for the possible way to avoid the failures.
localjoost
Lurker
Full Name: Joost Hermans

Post by localjoost »

Thanks for the suggestions foggy, I will look in to using powershell for this.
However this is not really a solution as much as a workaround.

Is this something that will be fixed in a future update?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Joost. For now it’s not possible to change this behavior, unless you put some scripting into use. Though, we may consider some changes of the said logic in the future releases. So, thanks for the feedback; highly-appreciated.
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

[MERGED] : Some VMs were not processed during the copy inter

Post by cparker4486 »

Hello,

I don't understand this error message. I've looked in the documentation and online and didn't find this error message described specifically.

I have my copy job set to copy every weekday at 12AM and I also have the schedule set to run continuously. On Friday at 11PM my backup job ran and it completed at 11:42PM. At 2:02AM the copy job started and two of eight VMs resulted in this error. The next copy job started at 1:51AM Sunday and all VMs failed. The next copy job ran this morning at 1:02AM and is in an Idle state (all VMs Pending).

Can someone explain what's happening? Also, should I change my schedule for the backup copy job in some way?
-- Chris
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: "Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval"

Post by foggy »

Chris, what is specified as a source for this backup copy job and what is the schedule of the corresponding backup job if it is set as a source?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Chris.

Most likely, there was nothing for backup copy job to copy during the interval. In other words, no new restore points were created at that time, and backup job threw the corresponding message.

Thanks.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

foggy wrote:Chris, what is specified as a source for this backup copy job and what is the schedule of the corresponding backup job if it is set as a source?
The source is a backup job called Tier 1. That job runs weekdays at 11PM. In the most recent instance it finished before 12AM Saturday.
-- Chris
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

v.Eremin wrote:Most likely, there was nothing for backup copy job to copy during the interval. In other words, no new restore points were created at that time, and backup job threw the corresponding message.
What does interval mean in this case and when does it start/stop? This is one things that's confusing to me. For certain there was modified data in those two VMs at the last time the backup job ran so I would expect that the next time the copy job was triggered (in this case at 2:02AM Saturday) it would have some amount of data to copy.
-- Chris
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If the copy interval is set to 1 day (default value), and the backup job was successful creating the respective restore points, then there should be restore points to copy over, indeed. I suggest to ask support for assistance and reviewing the behavior you're observing. Backup copy job log will tell the exact reason of the failure. Thanks.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Will do.
-- Chris
toon.v10
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Toon Vandendriessche

[MERGED] Backup Copy Job error on the days no backup jobs ru

Post by toon.v10 »

Hi,

I have 3 Backup Jobs and one backup copy job.
The 3 backup jobs run only on weekdays. The backup copy jobs runs every 24h.
In the weekend the backup copy job failes with the error: "No up-to-date restore points available".
It's normal that there are no restore points because the backup jobs only run at weekdays.

Is it possible to only run the backup copy job on weekdays? I tried to change the time windows, but it still generates the failed error.
Or is it possible to change the settings so no failed error is given just because there were no restore points?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Toon,

Currently there is no way to do that, but there is a workaround with a PowerShell script on the first page of the thread, please check out.

Thanks!
toon.v10
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Toon Vandendriessche

Post by toon.v10 »

Ok, Thanks!

I'll use a PS script as workaround and hope this behavior will be changed in a next release!
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

[MERGED] Backup сopy interval

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

Hi,

(is there a max on forum questions posted :wink: )

We run backups jobs during workdays, and the copy jobs are linked to these jobs. The copy's are set to run every day at midnight. We havent found a way to exclude some days. During the weekend we get a failure on the copy jobs complaining no blocks have changed so there's nothing to process. "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval" As this situation is "as expected" we would like to suppress or configure the copy jobs in a way that we do not get an error. We pursue an error-free backup system. Any idea's on this?

Regards,
Bastiaan
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
foggy
Veeam Software

Backup copy interval

Post by foggy »

b.vanhaastrecht wrote:(is there a max on forum questions posted :wink: )
No. ;) These forums are here right for asking questions like this.
b.vanhaastrecht wrote: We run backups jobs during workdays, and the copy jobs are linked to these jobs. The copy's are set to run every day at midnight. We havent found a way to exclude some days. During the weekend we get a failure on the copy jobs complaining no blocks have changed so there's nothing to process. "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval" As this situation is "as expected" we would like to suppress or configure the copy jobs in a way that we do not get an error. We pursue an error-free backup system. Any idea's on this?
Yes, this is a known behavior and you can find some hints on how to avoid errors using PowerShell in the thread above. We are still planning to improve this in future.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

[MERGED] : Understanding the copy interval

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi,

I have a job that is set to copy every 4 days at 8pm. I manually kicked it off after re-mapping the job to the offsite repo at 28/06/2014 12:32PM and it failed at 01/07/2014 8:00PM with the error;

"1/07/2014 8:00:09 PM :: Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval"

That is 3 days, 7 hours and 28 minutes after the sync started.

Can you please help me understand why this happened?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Adrian, your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding similar issue. Kindly, see answers provided above, and ask for additional clarification, if required. Thanks.
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

[MERGED] Failure Notifications on Backup Copies

Post by dtwiley »

This is not a problem as such but I'm running a backup schedule of data which we want a lower RPO on at 3 hourly intervals during office hours (11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm), the 8pm serves as a nice end of day restore point whilst the others give us good granularity during the day, this is all working fine. The backup copy job is also working fine, it is set to restart every 3 hours so I get a copy of these restore points on my remote repository so all is well.

The problem is that because the copy job restarts every 3 hours, its looking for restore points outside of these hours and naturally doesn't find any, so in a 24 hour period I get 4 successes on the backup copies (for the 4 restore points) and 4 failures (for the hours that i'm not running backups). We have no need to run backups all night and into the small hours of the morning. If I do this then i'll have more incremental's than I want and more restore points for the transformation to worry about at the end of the week which will slow things down.

I've tried setting the schedule window on the copy job but it still complains as it never had a window to check for restore points. No matter what I do, my logs are filled with 4 success and then 4 failures, every day. I suppose I could drop my restart period on the copy just to 24 hours but then I'll have a lower RPO on my remote repository. Shouldn't the copy job be more intelligent as its linked to a backup job so should know if new restore points have been created rather than assuming that they have and that they're missing?

I haven't logged a support case as the product appears to be behaving by design rather than in error, that or I've done something wrong.

Many thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Dave, you can work around this behavior with the help of some scripting, by temporarily disabling the backup copy job for the required period. Please review this thread for details.
phokay
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Han

Post by phokay »

Following is the formula on page 115 of Veeam 7 user guide for backup copy job:

"Veeam Backup & Replication identifies new restore points using the following rule:
Time of restore point creation >= current time – synchronization interval"

So setting the synchronization interval to 3 days would fix the issue of the backup copy jobs reporting failure (due to no up-to-date restore points available) during the weekends.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, but will result in just a single restore point per every 3 days.
Louharle
Influencer
Full Name: Louis Harle

[MERGED] Copy Interval Expired

Post by Louharle »

Hello, I have a number of backup copy jobs that are linked to backup jobs. The backup jobs are set to run Mon-Sat but the copy job appears to have attempted to run Sunday and is throwing the above error - is this expected and if so, how can it be avoided?

Thanks!