Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JL421
Novice
Liked: never

WAN Acceleration without a Hypervisor

Post by JL421 »

So I work for an MSP and I'm working to implement Veeam across our Backup clients.

Some of our clients have physical servers, and we're using Veeam Endpoint to back them up. Works well.

Most of those customers also have a local server recovery option, so I have a Hyper-V Server on site to bring up systems. Again, works great.

Almost all of our customers have off-site replication as well. This is where we run into a problem, at the intersection of physical servers, no local recovery, and replication.

It seems like there isn't any way to add WAN acceleration when no Hypervisor is added to the B&R console. Is this by design, or an oversight? The easy resolution would be to just install the Hyper-V role on the Veeam box, and call it a day, but I feel like there is a better way to do it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: WAN Acceleration without a Hypervisor

Post by veremin »

If I'm not mistaken, you cannot add backup copy job (that uses WAN Acceleration) until you add at least one Hyper-V/VMware server, thus, the said limitation.

We might think about a better way of handling this down the road.

So, you have no virtual hosts whatsoever and plan to use VB&R only to allow EP jobs to write to repository and then leveraged WAN Accelerated backup copy jobs to archive the resulting data offsite, right?

Thanks.
JL421
Novice
Liked: never

Post by JL421 »

For a few of our clients, that is correct.

Like I said, the workaround isn't terrible, just install the Hyper-V role on the Veeam server, then add itself as a standalone Hyper-V host. I just wanted to confirm that what I was experiencing was expected behavior.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'd say the it's expected behaviour, since I couldn't imagine situation when VB&R would have several WAN Accelerators and no virtual hosts added. Paying for solution to backup virtual infrastructures and not using it this way sound a bit strange, as to me.

Thanks.