Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
eruji
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Rujiraviriyapinyo

Need minimal memory/cpu use between backups

Post by eruji »

Hello All,

My plan is to use this software as a manually triggered backup solution. Love the interface and the ease of use so far. This is installed on my laptop which is being used for live performance for music playback and audio processing. So minimal memory and cpu use is critical to keep my performances stable.

I notice that this software uses SQL server 2000 express and the additional Endpoint service and processes running in the background. Can i manually disable these items between backups to keep things light on the cpu/memory. (is there an easy way to disable all of these items?) or will this mess up the way veeam keeps track of file changes etc.

I even thought dual booting might be an option to keep the veeam install on another os and let it do the entire computer backup (id rather not maintain two os's though)

any other ideas?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Need minimal memory/cpu use between backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Eric,

Installed with the product is Microsoft SQL Server 2012 LocalDB. However, if you check the resource consumption in ‘idle’ sate you will be surprised (for example, on my laptop LocalDB uses 0% CPU and 40MB’s of RAM).
Can i manually disable these items between backups to keep things light on the cpu/memory.
It’s not recommended since LocalDB keeps all the backup job’s settings.
eruji
Novice

Post by eruji »

Okay, good to know.

I just ran through an hour set with no hiccups.

Sorry this is going to be a newb question but how do the specified restore points work? If i specify 30 days, then the first one is the full backup, (if i take nightly backups) then do i get 29 incremental backups? what happens at day 30 or 31? does it ever make a new full backup?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Nice! The default backup mode is forever incremental, so first backup is always full, followed by incrementals. When it comes to the retention date oldest increment in chain is merged in the full backup. Check this article for more details.
eruji
Novice

Post by eruji »

excellent, thanks so much