Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

vSphere Replication vs Veeam 8 Replication Stun times

Post by aaron@ARB »

hi all,

I am having issues with vSphere replication at the moment that are making me look at other solutions. When vSphere replication works (6.1.0.12929) we dont see any 'stunning' of the VM during the day (we replicate our main SQL server every 4 hours) which is good. However when we do backups of an evening there are times when the server is stunned for a few second while I guess it writes the final snapshot that it took while writing the original snapshot which can be 20-30gb as the full backup takes a few hours to run. Now this is not normally a problem as its on a sunday morning and no-one is using the system.

Is the Veeam replication engine similar to the way it backups up a VM in terms of taking snapshots and writing the data? The reason I ask is that if i have snapshots on the SQL server during the day and its being stunned for a second or so every few hours, this may present an issue.

Has anyone else made the switch from vSphere replication to Veeam and had any similar issues?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: vSphere Replication vs Veeam 8 Replication Stun times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, for sure Veeam replication is very different (based on VM snapshot, as opposed to LWD snapshot). I recommend you give it a try, as vSphere 6 snapshot consolidation logic was vastly improved, and I've already heard some positive feedback from customers using Veeam replication on short replication intervals. Thanks!
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Re: vSphere Replication vs Veeam 8 Replication Stun times

Post by aaron@ARB » 1 person likes this post

I will check it thanks.

I'll be honest and say that I do like the vSphere replication (when it works!) but its just a little temperamental for my liking where when it breaks, IT BREAKS PROPERLY :)