Management reporting and documentation
coopsam
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam Cooper

Capacity Planning report

Post by coopsam »

Hi,

I have been tasked with producing reports for capacity usage (RAM/Storage/CPU) for each of our business units, I have created a business view for this and then assign department owners to each VM so the VM's are into the folders for each department. I am struggling to get a capacity usage report that shows last 12 months of usage for each of the stats and then show projected usage based on the last 12 months for the next 18-24 months. The closest report is the capacity management report but that doesn't quite fit as its over the whole estate.

Is there anyway to get a report similar to the capacity mgmt one that covers specific business view folders?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Capacity Planning report

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Sam,
So the request is to make a report similar to Capacity Planning, but Business View Groups based?
Do you want to see a performance of VM groups for the past period + prediction for the next X months without any info about hosts/datastores etc.?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

Can you please clarify how would you plan your capacity if only VM groups should be accounted in the report? In other words, you still need to base your calculations on the available hardware, right? Or you will be mapping future resource usage to available hardware manually?

Thanks!
coopsam
Influencer

Post by coopsam »

I guess capacity is a little mis-leading.

The goal is to produce a report for each department that shows their disk (GB), CPU (MHZ) and RAM (GB) for the past 12 months and then project that for the coming 12 or 18 months at least so I can show to the business units who is using what. This will then form part of my capacity reports I do to the business in order to purchase more resource.

So at this point I don't need calculations on available hardware as its all shared between all the business units so by seeing how is doing what and projected growth I can work out total capacity (also the current capacity report does this for me as a whole)

I would also then like to be able to put these reports on a dashboard in reporter which shows monthly change for each of the resources for each department as well as the projected utilisation.

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, what about this report then? It allows filtering objects by Business View group and shows historical information as well.
coopsam
Influencer

Post by coopsam »

Hi

I have run that report, couple of things are missing. I would need it to show totals for all the VM's in the business view group. I need it to show trend graph for the totals over past 12 months and then projection for the coming 12-18 months.

Is this possible?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Trending is only available for physical hosts and datastores in the capacity planning report. If you want it here, then I guess further manipulations in Excel will be required.