Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Thoughts on going forward with Backup Copy

Post by tomhkr »

I have a daily Backup job runnings since about 1,5 years configured with 720 restore points.
It takes full backups every three months and incremental inbetween.

In hindsight is quite unecessary to keep daily incrementals older than 3 months.
Ideally I would like to turn down the restore points to 90 to get rid of the older incrementals. But I don't want to lose the +90 day old full backups doing this.

I understand this is accomplished with Backup Copy jobs but I'm scared that I might do a mistake and get rid of the old full backups also.

How can I keep my 90+ days old full backups but get rid of the incrementals older than 90 days?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Thoughts on going forward with Backup Copy

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Backup copy job always copies the latest VM state. You would need to copy required older fulls somewhere for further manual retention and create backup copy with the required GFS settings.
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by tomhkr »

Okay great, thanks, so it would be okay if I just copied the older fulls somewhere and then set back the retention time to 90 days?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes. Then maintain the required number of these fulls manually, until your new backup copy reach that number with its GFS retention.