Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

Linux VM with Mapped CIFS Share from NAS

Post by LampchenKo »

Hello, all...

I am looking for options for the next scenario. I have a NAS FileSystem (CIFS Share) that I'm currently backing up with other application. My intention is to start backing up with Veeam without having to migrate to a Windows FileServer. My thinking is if I can create a Linux VM and map that CIFS share that is directly on my EMC VNX and if that VM can see it as a logical disk and back it up with Veeam having the option to do File Level Restore. Any other options that might have worked for you are welcome. If you need me to explain little further, please let me know.

Thanks in advance :) !
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Linux VM with Mapped CIFS Share from NAS

Post by jmmarton »

Veeam Backup & Replication is going to look for virtual hard disks under VMware or Hyper-V, so even if you connect from a VM to the CIFS share you wouldn't be able to back it up. As an alternative you could use the free Veeam Endpoint Backup to back up share on your VNX, assuming you can also expose it via iSCSI. You could then install Endpoint Backup on a physical Windows machine or even a Windows VM and connect to your VNX via iSCSI. If you have Veeam B&R, you could still target a Veeam repository and then easily leverage FLR from within the B&R console.

Joe
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

So basically is...

1. Physical Windows Server with iSCSi interface connected to the VNX.
2. Veeam Endpoint backup installed on that server.
3. CIFS Share mapped to that same server.

After that, I dont understand really well how to do the File Level Recovery.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

VBR can backup only virtual disks. If you manage to move your shared folder into vmdk then you'll be able to backup it with VBR.

Veeam Endpoint needs a block level access to your share in order to backup it. As Joe's already mentioned expose your LUN where your share resides at via iSCSI to Windows server with Endpoint installed, backup the whole LUN (or any part of it) and use an FLR feature when you need. There is also an option to backup the whole LUN and convert it to virtual disk in order to move your share to a virtual base which would allow you to backup it with VBR.

Thank you.
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

How about creating a Snapshot with EMC and then backup that snapshot with Veeam and use the Explorer for Snapshots ?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

How about creating a Snapshot with EMC and then backup that snapshot with Veeam and use the Explorer for Snapshots ?
Backup from storage snapshot works only if VM's disk is located on the storage. Have you considered using File-Copy Job?

Thank you.
LampchenKo
Influencer

Post by LampchenKo »

Hey, PTide. Not really, I remembered trying to do it but I wasn't able to see the Mapped Drive on the drives to select for the job. Also, will I be able to target it to an ExaGrid Share and be able to perform a file level recovery ?

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hey, PTide. Not really, I remembered trying to do it but I wasn't able to see the Mapped Drive on the drives to select for the job.
The option to enter UNC path as a source for File Copy job has been added in v9 Update 1.
Also, will I be able to target it to an ExaGrid Share and be able to perform a file level recovery ?
You can specify destination in UNC format as well. So, in other words, you can configure your File Copy job in such way that it copies files and directories from one share to another.

Thank you.