Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
AlexanderDonov
Expert
Liked: never

Monitor

Post by AlexanderDonov »

So is there no way to configure monitor for a remote SQL database?!?!
vmadmin

Post by vmadmin »

Rj, you can select to use remote SQL server during setup.
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Originally posted by vmadmin

Rj, you can select to use remote SQL server during setup.

well that's lovely, except it does NOT work. I have a SQL server, and I point it to the server (which BTW I *KNOW* it's configured correctly) but I keep getting an error:

Failed to register "Veeam Monitoring" user group on database host.
You may have to add it manually.

Error code: 1722

I haven't seen messages this cryptic since "bad command or file name" from Dos 3.0.

So I have tried, been trying to get this configured, and it's NOT working.

It would also be nice if you could give me some hints as to what to look for and how to setup a remote SQL server that actually works, because "you can select to use remote SQL server during setup." is not exactly stellar support.

I am about to drop kick this software, and forget the whole thing. I am already annoyed, then I send emails no one responds for days, so as far I am concerned I could care less if we buy this software or not. WE are a potential customer, and if you would rather NOT have us as a customer, great. I will use someone else. This apathetic support and lack luster response is very un nerving, and I am a support person myself, so I know something about HOW to treat customers, and this isn't it.

So I am trying to make this software work. I installed a FRESH copy of Windows 2003, it's all patched, nothing else installed except Veeam software, and it's slow, sloppy, and locks up. My LAST resort is attempt to use a remote SQL server, rather than a local database, and at this point I can't even test this software, because it's not working.

All I want is just a little instruction, what, where and how.

What the Veeam software is looking for.
Where to configure the remote SQL connection (because there is no - remote SQL connection to configure. The only option is to use a local SQL Express or not)
How to setup Monitoring so that it works and not slow as molasses on a dual core machine with nothing else running.

That's where I am at. If I don't get answers to my satisfaction, then I will have no choice but to NEVER recommend Veeam software to anyone ever. We may not be a really big potential customer, but I have lots of people asking me for advice and tools to use, and I don't know WHO I would recommend, but I can guarantee that there is 1 company I would **NOT** recommend.
Atkatch
Expert

Post by Atkatch »

Richard, support have replied you on your email with possible resolution of this issue.
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Hi,

I am facing database connection problem.
Receiving following error message while connecting to database
"Could not connect to database. Please check connection settings"
Please, anyone knows solution kindly post, I have send a mail to support and not received any reply.

Thanks,
Joe
Atkatch
Expert

Post by Atkatch »

Thank you for your request.

Please run the following command and forward obj.dat to support@veeam.com:
SQLCMD.EXE -S <DB_HOST>\<DB_INSTANCE> -Q "SELECT * FROM Monitor.dbo.sysobjects WHERE xtype='u' OR xtype='v' ORDER BY xtype,name" > obj.dat 2>&1

Please verify that you have changed <DB_HOST>\<DB_INSTANCE> to the correct values i.e. localhost\veeam
gallopsu
Lurker
Full Name: Mike

Re: Monitor

Post by gallopsu »

I experienced the same issues when I tried to connect to my SQL server.

After looking around a little bit I realized that the install created a NT user group "Veeam Monitoring" that serveral users are assigned to. The group is then used in MSDE to assign permissions. The group is then given SA rights to MSDE.

That last part eliminates the Veeam Monitor database as a candidate for a shared SQL server. No service account can be SA.

It also seems to point to laziness. That is the equivalent of solving an NT permissions issue by giving Everyone Full Control. Not acceptable.

Hopefully this is sorted out in 5.0.

Love the tool.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Monitor

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mike, yes this is fixed in v5 with new security. Have you had a chance to check out v5 beta yet?