Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Hung BCJ

Post by Zew »

I came across this weird error last night. (It has since fixed itself once I corrected some networking issues)

I found some of my BCJ were not running and were failing, I invested the issue after I had made some route changes on my edge firewalls (since I run dual ISP's with complicated NAT, Route and Security rules) I knew it was going to break my IPsec Tunnel to my cold site repo. (Via a managed server; Debian)

The odd part was once I had verified connection to the Debian server via it's IPsec tunnel was shown as up and very stable (20 ms responses) I found that the repo within Veeam was not showing the correct value and all jobs were complaining they were unable to write to their storage. I could not figure this out, I was having issue with the modem/router one of my local ISP's provided me as a device. (Blah blah blah more networking mobo jumbo) I managed to get it all sorted out after updating the devices firmware and disabling any firewall garbage it had in place (I don't need double firewalling and double NAT rules now, sudders) Anyway, after that was said n done I left the "rescan" process running on the Veeam consol for the managed server; Debian. Which finally reported the right numbers again in the Veeam consol.

I was pretty excited at this point. I however did find some of the jobs were stuck stopping. So I had to do the whole fun process of RDPing into the Veeam server, stopping all the Veeam services and then killing any pending processes, and then starting all the services back up.

Is it possible to reset a single job without having to restart all the back end services? In the event I'm running a test enviro for my colleagues and a job freezes on my BCJ it would suck to have to stop it all just to bring back my one job to an operational state.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Hung BCJ

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I however did find some of the jobs were stuck stopping.
May I ask you for how long was it stuck before you stopped all services?
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Long time ;)...

The IPsec tunnel I have between sites goes up n down when I transfer files through it. Working with my ISP for a couple weeks now to get resolved...

I'm thinking of changing providers since this new service has been nothing but problematic.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew » 4 people like this post

I managed to get the IPSec issued resolved with my ISP.

All jobs have run swimmingly since the change, and since it's now a dedicated connection for back ups I have all my BCK running on a full 24/7 schedule so no more issues with not having enough allotted time for a job to complete.

Love veeam keep up the good job!