Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mfinnigan_g
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Finnigan

Implementing tape, do I need tape jobs + secondary dest. ?

Post by mfinnigan_g »

We've been running with Veeam 8 doing incrementals and weekly synthetic fulls to Exagrid for almost a year. We're now implementing tape; I've added the device and pools, made a test job, etc. Our goal is to run a monthly job (or jobs) to get just the most recent full copied out to tape.

I created a tape job for a single VM and it did what I wanted; it put the most recent synthetic full onto media. Yay.

Now, can I just take that single tape job and add every VM to it? Will that accomplish the goal of "when this runs once a month, get the most recent full for everything selected" ? I'm thinking the answer is "yes" but would love confirmation.

Also, do I need to mess around with all of the existing backup jobs' "secondary destination", if I'm already scheduling my tape job within its own settings?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Implementing tape, do I need tape jobs + secondary dest.

Post by PTide »

Now, can I just take that single tape job and add every VM to it? Will that accomplish the goal of "when this runs once a month, get the most recent full for everything selected" ? I'm thinking the answer is "yes" but would love confirmation.
Yes, it will. Also you can choose the whole repository as a source.
v
No, you don't need to.

Please consider updating your VBR installation as there are many improvements for tape jobs in v9

Thank you.
mfinnigan_g
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Finnigan

Re: Implementing tape, do I need tape jobs + secondary dest.

Post by mfinnigan_g »

Thanks for the answers.
Yeah, starting to see that re: v9. I think I'll be putting that into effect next week.