Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
schedlbauerm
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Schedlbauer

Problem with BackupExec 2010 VSS Provider

Post by schedlbauerm »

Yesterday I installed the BEX2010R2-RemoteAgents (with AOFO) on all our VMware VSphere 4.0 U1 VMs.

In the VMs Windows Server 2003 (R2) SP2 and Server 2008 (R2) is running.

During the installation of the BEX2010-Remote-Agents the VMware VSS Provider (Service) gets uninstalled.

Now I have problems with my VCB-Backup (VMware Consolidated Backups). On all VMs with the new BEX2010-Agent installed the VMware snapshots fail. The Log says that the filesystem could not be quiesed.

I have already read the follwoing KB-Article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/352025.htm

It says that only the BEX-Provider or the VMware VSS provider can run.

It says that the BEX-Provider should only be used when:

Using system or application GRT (Granular Restore Technology) on virtual machine backups
- Backing up guest machines with a Windows 2008 or Windows 7 operating system on an ESX 4.0 or earlier (VMware VSS support for Windows 7 and Server 2008 gains functionality in ESX 4.0 update 1 and later)

Otherwise, VMware Snapshot Provider is sufficient for backup

As we want to use GRT. I think it would be best if we used the BEX VSS Provider.

Is this possible ?

Does VeeamBackup need the VMware VSS Provider or does it use his own VSS provider ?

Executing vssadmin list providers does not show a veeam backup vss provider.

Kind regards M
Martin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Problem with BackupExec 2010 VSS Provider

Post by Gostev »

Hello Martin,

We use our own VSS integration and do not require VMware VSS provider. However, you will not see our VSS provider in the list of providers, because our implementation does not require installing persistent agent and VSS provider on each VM.

However, I believe it was reported on forum before that BackupExec VSS prevents Veeam VSS from working properly, so most likely you won't be able to use both.

Thanks!
schedlbauerm
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Schedlbauer

Post by schedlbauerm »

How can I tell if Veeam VSS runs without problems ?

The backupjobs complete successfully and no errors are reported in VeeamBackup-Console.

Does this mean Veeam VSS works or do I have to log into a different logfile to check if veeam vss produces any errors ?

Regards

Martin
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Martin,

If a job completes without errors, there will be "success" in the status message.
If VSS fails, there are two options:
- status: "warning" in case you have the "continue if VSS fails" checkbox ticked;

Hope this helps.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

In other words, if you have Veeam VSS enabled, and your jobs report success, then all is well!