Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bgood2all
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bruce Webb

Screenshot Backup Verification

Post by bgood2all »

Datto is able to not only check the integrity of a backup, but actually creates a mock recovery and spins up a virtual machine to verify the backup can be booted in a disaster. I believe this feature will help us with regulatory compliance and confirm backup status. Can this be a feature added to Veeam? http://www.datto.com/technologies/scree ... rification
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Screenshot Backup Verification

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Bruce, haven't you considered SureBackup Veeam B&R functionality?
bgood2all
Novice

Post by bgood2all »

Thanks! Well, I contacted support this morning and the tech indicated that it was not a feature currently and wanted me to post the request on the forum... I continue to review the documentation and see if I can get this setup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Probably some sort of misunderstanding with the support engineer took place. Could you please provide your case ID?
bgood2all
Novice

Post by bgood2all »

Veeam Support - Case # 01759630
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This one is talking about something else (the ability to pause the job). Anyway, consider using SureBackup, should be just what you are looking for.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

No we don't take a screenshot because it is probably just showing you a login screen which means nothing (if a service would fail, you can not see this).

With Surebackup we spin up the VM in a isolated network environment and instead we actual do service verification via a portscan. If the service responds on the port, it is up and running. There are some predefined roles for AD, Web, etc.. You can extend this with your own scripts; for example find out if the database actually was able to mount the database (files) or if a web server is actually showing an expected content. Even cooler, we allow you to start up "supporting VMs" like AD or SQL server before other VMs are tested so that you simulate your production environment, and you get an actual recovery test... and this all automated once configured
ESXIGuy
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jon Brown

[MERGED] Feature Request: SureBackup to send screenshot

Post by ESXIGuy » 2 people like this post

ShadowProtect offers an option to send a screenshot of the booted image after X amount of time. I would love to get that from Veeam as well.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

[MERGED] Re: Feature Request: SureBackup to send screenshot

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

The request makes sense, though I can't promise you that it will be implemented in the next release. You might want to stick with the following workaround - get a script that leverages the powerCLI Get-VMScreenshot function and schedule it (use Windows task scheduler) to start a few minutes prior to SureBackup job. Here is the example of such script for vSphere 5.

Thanks