Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
meddie
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eduard Markus

Backup Copy to RDX

Post by meddie »

Hi together,

i have some questions to you ...

i have one ESXi Host with 3 VMs, a Synology DS215j and a RDX Drive connected to the DS215j. On the Synology i have one CIFS Share for the daily Backups, one iSCSI Share where i replicate all three vms, and the RDX Drive is a CIFS Share too.
I created three Jobs, Backup job, Copy Backup Job and a replication job.
The Backup Job creates daily at 19 oclock a ReverseIncemental Backup to the CIFS Share on the Synology, after this job starts the copy job and should copy the backups to the rdx drive. And at 6:00 in the morning creates the replica job a replica of the three vms to the iscsi target.
i have some troubles with the rdx. All three VMs have a size of 270 GB, the RDX Drive has a capacity of ca. 300GB, so i cant use the default settings and keep two restore points. I seted up a registry key, that the RDX drive will be deleted when the media is cahnged. So far it worked fine, but i have two problems, the first problem is on holidays when nobody is in the company the media is keeping in the rdx drive and will be not deleted. So that the job fails.
The second Problem which i have is on the monday morning it seems as the ds215j restart some services and the share is for ca. 15 seconds not reachable. And in this case Veeam sends an email with the error. The user who is responsible for changin the media means every monday that the backup job is failed.

Have some ideas how i can do it better? Is there anybody who use a RDX too and can help me.
Thanks a lot!
Greets Eddie
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy to RDX

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I seted up a registry key, that the RDX drive will be deleted when the media is cahnged.
What registry key are you reffering to? Is it ForceDeleteBackupFiles? Please elaborate.
15 seconds not reachable. And in this case Veeam sends an email with the error. The user who is responsible for changin the media means every monday that the backup job is failed.
You can use a pre-job script that checks if the share is reachable and waits X more minutes before starting the job.

Thank you.
meddie
Influencer

Post by meddie »

PTide wrote:ForceDeleteBackupFiles?
Yes! This one!

The Problem is that the job is not running in this time. The last Backup starts at friday. The next Backup starts at monday 19:00. So at monday at 00:15 is no backup job running, but if the ds215j restarts his services (i think so) and the share is not reachable then send the copy job which runs continious a error mail.
So i think the pre job script will not help.

The only way i see is to disable the job, and after successfull backup job enable the copy job, and with a past script of the copy job disable the copy job. But i dont know if veeam will delete the media if the copy job is disabled?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So at monday at 00:15 is no backup job running, but if the ds215j restarts his services (i think so) and the share is not reachable then send the copy job which runs continious a error mail.
Just to make sure that we are on the same page - does your copy job works fine and error email notification is the only problem, or the backup copy job is failing?
But i dont know if veeam will delete the media if the copy job is disabled?
I'm not sure what you mean by "delete the media", is it "eject media" or "delete backup files"?

Thank you.
meddie
Influencer

Post by meddie »

sorry, my english is not the best.

the copy job runs fine. Its only the email which will be sent when the share is shortly not available and the copy job send this error email. When the backup job has successfully ended the copy job runs fine.
But every monday the user gets an email with the error: network error file not found (or similar)

with delete the media, i mean that veeam should delete all files on the rdx drive before the copy job starts. The rdx drive should be deleted so on the rdx drive is enough space for the new copy.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

May I ask you which VBR version are you running?
meddie
Influencer

Post by meddie »

v8 2021
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

ForceDeleteBackupFiles key works only if some backup file from the latest full backup chain for this job is missing. In your case an RDX media does not get replaced with a new one during the holidays thus causing Backup Copy Job to fail to remove the backups. As a workaround I can suggest you to use pre-copy-job script (it will run before every synchronization) in order to delete files from an RDX media that's been left. It would be even better to setup some secondary storage that can keep more than one restore point in order to reduce the risk to loose a backup chain in case of a disaster.

Regarding the email notification problem - I'll update this post once I get more info on how that can be resolved. I also suggest you to upgrade your installation to the most recent 9th version as there are many improvements in it.

Thank you.
meddie
Influencer

Post by meddie » 1 person likes this post

Oh, yes i have more backup targets. I have 14 Restorepoints on a synology. i replicate all VMs to a iSCSI Target and do a copy to RDX which will daily rotated.
On the first runs the backup job, then starts the copy job to rdx and then starts the replica.

Ok, i have now tried to resolve the problem like this: i added to the backup job a post script which first delete all files on the rdx drive. And enables the copy job. After this the copy job shlould run without problems and creaty daily a full backup on rdx drive. And after the copy job runs the replica job which has a pre-script which disable the copy job.

So i hope when the copy job is disabled and the synology nas restarts the services (or whatever happens to this time) then veeam shlouldnt send an email with an error.
I hope it works for me.

Thank you very much. I will send here an update next week, because the error mail was always on monday.
Greets Eddie