Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
manohar
Lurker
Liked: never

"Constructing rollback file name"

Post by manohar »

Hi everybody,
I'm using a trial version of Veeam Backup and Replication 4.1 to perform replication of virtual machines between two VMWare ESXi 4.0 boxes. The replication mode is using VMware vStorage API in network mode with encryption enabled. Every time the replication job is run for incremental replication (i.e. excluding the first time), a lot of time is spent on 'constructing a rollback file name' and the progress bar is stuck at 0%. As of now I don't need any rollback points so is there any way to turn this feature off?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: "Constructing rollback file name"

Post by Gostev »

Hi, actually I don't believe it is rollback filename construction that takes long here, but probably some other operation which happens right after. Our support should be able to tell that for sure from logs. Nevertheless, this can never be fully disabled - Veeam replication requires the rollback file in order to be able to recover the image in case when replication cycle fails, thus leaving the replica files in the inconsistent state.
manohar
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by manohar »

I will get in touch with the support team right away. And just one more question: is the 'constructing rollback file name' a network intensive or a target host machine intensive process? I have to perform the backups over the internet and the network speed is limited. But I can get more powerful hardware for my host machines.
Thank you very much.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'd say it relates to both, network connection and target host machine is being used while "Constructing rollback file name" procedure takes place. To tell you the exact reason for the timeout we definitely need to see the logs. Thanks!