Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NCIT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Davis

Advice on using Veeam over remote link

Post by NCIT »

Hi All,

I have spent a couple of hours reading up on here which has been very informative!

I currently have two veeam backup servers... one is a virtual VM that resides on our SAN. The other is a physical server that is currently linked to the SAN via MS iSCSI initiator...

I also have available plenty of iSCSI storage...

Now the advice I need is that I plan to put the physical server at a remote site. This remote site has an IPSEC link so that I can transfer data over it... how would you suggest is the best way to do this?

I have a few days to come up with a solution but obviously I am keen to start testing... I have successfully done a full backup of our virtual servers and this currently resides on an iOmega istor iscsi 4TB device which can be easily moved. I also have a Buffalo Terrastation 4TB iscsi (rack based) available.

Ideally I would like to have a local based backup here and a remote based back up at the remote site.

I was thinking of perhaps backing up locally then transferring over to the remote site... but would assume database would also need to be moved?

Or would it be possible to do a full backup locally then use veeam from the remote site to carry on with incremental? (I know the most current backup is full,etc)

Any advice appreciated. If its a simple solution then all the better as I would like our desktop tech to maintain the backups.
NCIT
Influencer

Re: Advice on using Veeam over remote link

Post by NCIT »

Local based 'production' VM's are backing up at 50-70mbps ... rather... 8)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Scott,

You could use rsync to sync backup files over the WAN link to a remote site. This is one of most commonly used approaches by our customers. Please search this forum for rsync for more information on this topic.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Scott, you do not need to keep database with backup files, because we provide Import Backup functionality. Thanks!
NCIT
Influencer

Post by NCIT »

Excellent thank you!

Unfortunately we are now having problems with Veeam so are having to leave this for the moment until I can resolve the issues we are experiencing...

It seems the Veeam backups are stressing the network and causing the iSCSI connector on the SAN to disconnect which means my production environment goes down and bringing it back up is a major problem that has taken me several hours today.

SAN has two 1GB NIC's that are both available to the ESXi hosts for multipathing... I have created a disk set on the SAN of 2TB and connected it via MS iSCSI initiator directly from the VM veeam...

When you run the veeam backup on a VM we are getting good figures of around 40-50mbps which for a production 'live' 1GB network isnt too bad... trouble is it starts to affect the performance of other servers on the same SAN.

So what would you suggest?

I have a basic Buffalo 1GB 4TB iSCSI that I have been using for lab purposes that I was thinking of using for backup purposes. I could then add a new iSCSI initiator connection on the veeam VM directly to this box which should resolve the issue. Would it be worth putting a second nic on the vm?

Any advice would be appreciated as scratching my head at the moment in frustration :oops: :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I would replace your production SAN if I was you, you definitely don't want to run your production off something that dies easily from high concurrent load. I've seen the same thing reported only once before on some forum (Veeam Backup was not involved), it was for very cheap iSCSI SAN (QNAP). It would just die from concurrent iSCSI load.

From cheaper SAN, I suggest looking at Dell Equallogic, this seems to be most popular choice among Veeam customers.
NCIT
Influencer

Post by NCIT »

Gostev wrote:I would replace your production SAN if I was you, you definitely don't want to run your production off something that dies easily from high concurrent load. I've seen the same thing reported only once before on some forum (Veeam Backup was not involved), it was for very cheap iSCSI SAN (QNAP). It would just die from concurrent iSCSI load.

From cheaper SAN, I suggest looking at Dell Equallogic, this seems to be most popular choice among Veeam customers.
I wouldnt mind but this isnt a cheap SAN... I'm using one of these: http://support.overlandstorage.com/supp ... er-san.htm
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hmm never heard of these guys. I hope you can make them fix this, or at least get your money back... you do not want to use SAN that dies under load.