Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Direct SAN access clarification

Post by marius roma »

On page https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... ccess.html I read that
Veeam Backup & Replication uses the Direct SAN access transport mode to read and write VM data only during the first session of the replication job. During subsequent replication job sessions, Veeam Backup & Replication will use the Virtual Appliance or Network transport mode on the target side. The source side proxy will keep reading VM data from the source datastore in the Direct SAN access transport mode.
Veeam Backup & Replication writes VM data to the target datastore in the Direct SAN access transport mode only if disks of a VM replica are thick-provisioned. If disks are thin-provisioned, Veeam Backup & Replication will write VM data in the Network or Virtual Appliance mode. By default, Veeam Backup & Replication replicates VM disks in the thin format. To write VM data to the target datastore in the Direct SAN access transport mode, select to convert VM disks to the thick format at the Destination step of the replication job wizard.
What does it mean that
Veeam Backup & Replication uses the Direct SAN access transport mode to read and write VM data only during the first session of the replication job
is it the same for backup jobs?
What does it mean that
Veeam Backup & Replication writes VM data to the target datastore in the Direct SAN access transport mode only if disks of a VM replica are thick-provisioned
Is it the same for reading?
I need to speed up backup processes, in which data is read from the VMware datastores in the SAN and written to NAS repositories.
Many disks are stored in thin format.
Given such limitations, is there any real advantage in using Direct SAN access?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Direct SAN access clarification

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

These limitations affect only population of the target datastore with VM data during replication jobs, backup jobs are not involved.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

... so I can expect real performance advantage if I implenent Direct SAN access to backup and restore my VMs even if the disks are thin, is it correct?
Regards
Marius
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Only thick disks can be restored using direct SAN, the same limitations as for replication apply here.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Many thanks.
Marius
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

foggy wrote:Only thick disks can be restored using direct SAN, the same limitations as for replication apply here.
Does this limitation apply to NFS Direct as well? The manual does not state this but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Direct NFS doesn't have this limitation.