Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

SQL Server - How to restore a table over existing table

Post by VanillaMastermind »

I am testing out different SQL Server recovery scenarios in Veeam B&R. I have gotten all kinds of different restores to work with the exception of one that seems important. I can't find a way to recover a single database object right over the top of the existing one. I can recover the entire database over itself (via RESTORE DATABASE), and can recover individual database objects to the same (or different) database with a DIFFERENT NAME (via RESTORE SCHEMA), but I can't seem to restore an object over the top of itself with the same name. If I try to make the name the same, I get the error "Object with the same name already exists in database: [DATABASE NAME]" Is this not possible? If not, I am still satisfied as I can work around it on the SQL Server level, but I was surprised to not see an option that allows that, with Veeam B&R being so flexible.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SQL Server - How to restore a table over existing table

Post by PTide »

Hi,

VBR cannot replace an original object with the one from backup and that's by design. Imagine if you chose to restore (via replacement) the wrong object and did not have the most recent db backup at hand, in this case your data would be unrecoverably lost.

Thank you.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

Re: SQL Server - How to restore a table over existing table

Post by VanillaMastermind »

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response!