Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Louharle
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Louis Harle

Multi-Drive Library does not retry files in use

Post by Louharle »

Howdy, all - Running B&R version 9 U1 have a tape job that is backing up three repositories. The backup target is a 2 drive library with a media pool configured for parallel processing. I am backing up 3 repositories on a nightly basis. I have tried to align the tape job to kick off when the last backup to disk finishes but I am experiencing difficulty with this, unfortunately, as the timing continues to fluctuate. The problem I am encountering is that if the tape job kicks off before the backup to disk job completes it will encounter as "some backup files are locked by running jobs, retry is required" and put it in a pending state. No biggie, right? well, B&R doesn't seem to do a retry until ALL other servers/jobs in the tape job complete, then it goes back and does a retry and finishes up the backup. This leaves an empty tape drive sitting for well over 6-8 hours that could be backing this up as soon as the backup to disk finishes. As an FYI, I cannot link this job to begin when the backup to disk job completes based on the fact that I don't want to run every day that the backup to disk job runs.

Any thoughts as to how to get B&R to retry more frequently?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Multi-Drive Library does not retry files in use

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Luis,
Louharle wrote:As an FYI, I cannot link this job to begin when the backup to disk job completes based on the fact that I don't want to run every day that the backup to disk job runs.
You can use post-job activity for the source job and make it start the tape job. There is an option to run the command on the selected days only.
Thanks!
Louharle
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Louis Harle

Post by Louharle »

Hello, thank you for your reply - as I had indicated, the tape job runs Monday through Friday, never on weekends while the backup to disk job runs Mon through Friday AND on Sunday; for this reason I cannot link the tape job to the B2D job.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the schedule clarification.
My suggestion is to set the command to start the tape job only for week-days once the source disk job is finished.
So the source job will trigger the tape one Mon-Fri, but to on Sunday.