Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xact
Lurker
Liked: never

Post job activity problem - file copying fails

Post by xact »

My problem is that I am unable to trigger file copy action with Veeam Backup and FastSCP (Veeam BaF).
Using search function I found a similar case where checking of security rights were recommended but this advise did not solve my problem.

I have a Veeam BaF v 4.1.2 64 bit installation on a VM running Win2k8 R1 64 bit SP2.
Veeam BaF was installed as Domain Administrator using a domain account (domain\su_veeam) for Veeams database instance.

I am using a seperate Veeam backup job for each VM (vSphere 4.0 with VC).
I want to copy the .vbk files after Veeam BaF did its job on each VM to a network share to backup them seperatly to tape.
Network share is mounted as drive i:\
For this I created a batch file for each VM which contains (besides of some logging) the following:

Code: Select all

xcopy C:\veeam_backup\VMdirectory\*.vbk i:\ /V /Y /C /F /H /R /K >> C:\log\vm_log.txt
This job was created referencing to the batch file at Backup Destination -> Advanced -> Post job activity -> Run the following command (C:\scripts\VMxcopy.bat)

Veeam BaF does its job but after backup the machine it fails to xcopy the .vbk file to the network share on i:\
I have also tried to create local administrative accounts named su_veeam on both the Veeam server and the file server serving the network share - it helped nothing.
I have given all security rights on the batch file to both domain\su_veeam and local account su_veeam - it also helped nothing.
Any xcopy related action is simply refused ( "0 File(s) copied" :( ) .

Also the very same result even after changing Veeams service user to domain\administrator or some other users.

I found no hint in neither the Veeam servers Windows event viewer logs nor in the file servers event viewer logs.
I checked security rights on the script folder (c:\scripts), the script itself and the logging folder (c:\log) - nope, nada, njet ...

Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Post job activity problem - file copying fails

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Please try to use full UNC path instead of using mapped drives. Mapped drive might not be seen, as it is a "user-mode" setting (stored under HKCU), and is only available for the user who created the mapped drive, and only when the user is logged on to the computer interactively. However, the backup jobs run from under Veeam Backup and FastSCP service account and post-backup job script is also triggered by the service.

Hope it helps!
xact
Lurker
Liked: never

Solved (Re: Post job activity problem - file copying fails)

Post by xact »

Vitaly,

Thanks, you are right.
Now works as expected -> problem solved! :D