Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Splitting job

Post by marius roma »

We have big jobs, each one including many VM, either Reverse Incremental and Incremental.
We need to split each big job in more smaller jobs.
So, for example, job "Accounting_VMs" will be split in "Accounting_VMs 1", "Accounting_VMs 2", "Accounting_VMs 3", each one with part of the VMs existing in the original "Accounting_VMs" job.
Can we do the split without creating a new full backup for each new job, in order to avoind wasting space on the NAS?
In other words, can we configure new jobs to use the existing backup files in the "Accounting_VMs" folder in the NAS without creating a new folder and a new full backup for each new job?
Regards
Marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Splitting job

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I'm wondering why you need to split the existing job. May be enabling per-VM chain option would do the trick in this case? Thanks.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your message.
Can you please expalin what is "per-VM chain option"?
Is it available in the Standard version?
Regards
marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The feature is well described in the corresponding section of our User Guide. It's available in Enterprise and Enteprise Plus editions. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

After splitting the job into multiple ones, you would need to clone existing backup chain into several folders to be able to map each of the smaller jobs to it's own chain (you cannot map several jobs to the same backup).
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

It looks that the option is available in the standard version as well (can be set, I am not sure it works).
Given it works, what is supposed to happen if I implement it on an existing repository witg traditional backup jobs?
Should I consider that new (full) backup files will be created for all the VMs in all the jobs using the rpository?
Regards
marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Marius,
Per-VM chaining will be enabled after first Full backup for each job using the repository.
Thanks!