Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Proxy selection questions

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

I have some questions about the proxy role and it's selection. I'll give some background on the current setup and what I'm trying to achieve.

We currently have jobs configured to backup VM's over 2 sites (connected via 1Gb) to a repo in one of those sites. The jobs contain a mix of VM's from both sites.

What I want to do is setup SAN connected proxies and use them exclusively for backups, however because we do replication as well, and can't restore using our SAN attached proxies we will need some hot-add capable proxies too, however as soon as they are added they start being used by the backup jobs as well. The only option I can see is to specify my SAN connected proxies manually in every job which I'd rather not have to do.

Is there any other way to make sure backups use SAN connected proxies and don't also use hot-add capable proxies without physically specifying that in every job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Proxy selection questions

Post by foggy »

Dave, selecting proxies explicitly in the job is the most reliable method, are there any specific reasons why you do not want to do that?
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: Proxy selection questions

Post by DaveWatkins »

My main reason for not wanting to explicitly set them is I then lose the redundancy of having multiple proxies. If for some reason my physical proxies are offline, my backups fail when they could have completed easily if they had failed over to the VM based proxies with hot-add. I don't see any tickbox to allow failover to other proxies in the selection pane for proxies in the jobs