Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
manz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Manjiri Patil

Veeam File Level Restore

Post by manz »

I am runninh Veeam Backup 4.1.2 inside Virtual machine ( version 7) , esxi 4.0 . I have insatlled Vmpalyer 3.0 inside VM for Fiel level restore . However realized that one of the disadvantage of installing VMplayer inside VM is that VMWARE tools can not be run and needs to be disabled. Also I am getting error Vmware USB arbitration service can not be started on the outer VM . Is there workaround for this ?May be install VEEAM File level restore on separate VM that will run VMplayer and VEEAM FIle level restore Only . ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam File Level Restore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Manjiri,

You may try to use built-in file-level restore functionality which is fully supported for Windows VMs. Also as per our release notes VMware Player 2.5 is the only supported version.
If you'd like to continue using FLR wizard with VMware player, please install Veeam backup server on the separate physical machine, import the backup and perfrom the restore.

Thanks!
manz
Novice

Post by manz »

I know built in restore works for windows but i am using veeam to restore Linux machines too . hence need file level restore . I upgraded vmplayer to 3.1 but still getting Vmware USB arbitration service error ?? any idea ??? When you said installing on separate physical machien do you mean installing it for restore purpose only ? and keep VEEAM on VirtulaMachine for backup
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Manjiri, yes you may have two separate backup servers: one to perform the backup jobs and another one to do FLR operation from Linux guests. And as I have mentioned in the post above, please install VMplayer 2.5 to run the Wizard. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just install Veeam on your physical workstation to do Linux FLR (via Import Backup).
manz
Novice

Post by manz »

LINUX FLR doesn't work via Import Backups , i got error saying mount failed , fiel system not recognized.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please open a support ticket with our tech team on this issue, as we need to investigate all the log files for furhter troubleshooting.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

manz wrote:LINUX FLR doesn't work via Import Backups , i got error saying mount failed , fiel system not recognized.
It should work. Make sure you are trying to perform Linux FLR from supported file system (see the Release Notes document for the complete list).